Backing Up OpenOffice Text Documents and Pasted Texts

Discuss the word processor
WesTruther

Backing Up OpenOffice Text Documents and Pasted Texts

Post by WesTruther »

:crazy: Sorry for being a dummy, but is there a way to transfer my Open Office Saved Text Documents to an external hard drive in formats that are easy to open again from the Memory Storage Device- I've tried what I know but I can't figure this out- Seems that every issue with my Computer ends with a loss of my personal collections of date within Open Office- Neither can I open and read Word Documents with my Open Office- I prefer One Program that does it all and without paying 200 bucks a year for Micro/Word- Thanks to any response - WesTruther
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Backing Up OpenOffice Text Documents and Pasted Texts

Post by jrkrideau »

WesTruther wrote::crazy: Sorry for being a dummy, but is there a way to transfer my Open Office Saved Text Documents to an external hard drive in formats that are easy to open again from the Memory Storage Device
Unless I completely misunderstand the problem, you should be able to Save the document directly to the external hard drive. File > Save should open a window that allows you to select the external hard drive as the place to save the file. Just save it in normal AOO format.

Alternatively you can save to the internal hard drive and copy the file to the external hard drive at the system level.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I just occasionally copy and paste my Documents folder to an external hard drive. It works for me. If you want to use the Windows Backup or some automated backup, I'm sure you can find tutorials/help on a Windows 7 forum.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

WesTruther wrote: is there a way to transfer my Open Office Saved Text Documents to an external hard drive in formats that are easy to open again from the Memory Storage Device
Yes. You just need to copy all the .odt (text), .ods (spreadsheet) etc files.

1. Start. Type *.od? in the Search box. Click See more results. You now have a list of every OpenOffice file on your PC.

2. Copy those which you want to the memory stick.

You are probably confused because of the ridiculously idiotic Microsoft trick of hiding file qualifiers so you haven't a clue which files are AOO files. Control Panel > Folder Options > View ..., and untick Hide qualifiers for known file types.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If transferring files to an external device, be aware that files awaiting transfer can be buffered internally in the computer, and the computer can tell one that the transfer is complete, even though there are still files awaiting transfer. It is essential to strictly observe the device removal protocol before disconnecting any such external device and powering off the computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS