[Solved] Can't find a template for 8 business cards per page

Discuss the word processor
FrustratedReception

[Solved] Can't find a template for 8 business cards per page

Post by FrustratedReception »

Super simple; need my A4 page split into 8 even sections landscape or portrait is fine, going for buisness a card kind of thing?
Only business card style templates I've found splits into 10 cards not 8.

Any help appreciated - thank you.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Windows 10 / Open Office 4.1.5
My employer can't afford Microsoft Word
RoryOF

Re: Cant find a template for 8 business cards per page

Post by RoryOF »

In default of finding a template, try setting up a table 2 x 4, with invisible or faint borders.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That will give you 8 x A7 sized cards. My experience is that business cards are handier if they are credit-card sized 85.60 × 53.98 mm - effectively 86 x 54 mm.
FrustratedReception

RoryOF wrote:In default of finding a template, try setting up a table 2 x 4, with invisible or faint borders.
Then the table is all squished up at the top of the page, not filling the whole thing - I also have no idea how to make the table spread evenly accross the page I dont see any option in the table format menu.
FrustratedReception

RoryOF wrote:That will give you 8 x A7 sized cards. My experience is that business cards are handier if they are credit-card sized 85.60 × 53.98 mm - effectively 86 x 54 mm.
They're not actually for business cards, I guess those clip on guest badges you get when you go to certain restricted places would have been a more accurate example - they do need to be larger than business cards.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

FrustratedReception wrote:I also have no idea how to make the table spread evenly accross the page I dont see any option in the table format menu.
Highlight the required columns > right-click > Columns > Spread evenly.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages. Tables are covered in Chapter 9 - Working with tables.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FrustratedReception

John_Ha wrote:
FrustratedReception wrote:I also have no idea how to make the table spread evenly accross the page I dont see any option in the table format menu.
Highlight the required columns > right-click > Columns > Spread evenly.
Had to use the rows option not columns but still either too small or so big they go off the page.
Skimming over chapter 9 it doesnt seem to cover what is is that i'm trying to do.
Two across, 4 down, fitted to page - you wouldnt think it should be something so difficult as to take an entire work day and a forum to try and figure it out, I'm not enjoying how unintuitive this seems to be.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached file
Attachments
A7 Cards.odt
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It isn't difficult once you work out how AOO works - you will quickly see that the right edge of the table cannot easily be adjusted by "typing in the properties" - it must be set on the page.

Assume you want table cells 86mm wide x 54 mm deep.

You can manually drag the right edge until it is (left margin + 2 x 86mm) from the left edge of the page.

You should have noticed that when you add a table it extends to the right margin. So add an extra, redundant column to the right so that 2 x 86mm plus the extra column width adds up to the space between the margins.

Or set the gap between page margins to be 2 x 86mm. Either method sets the width very easily.

1. Format > Page. Set the left margin to 10mm. Set the right margin to 210 - 10 - (2 * 86) = 28mm
2. Add a table two cells wide and 5 cells deep. Each column is now 86mm wide.
3. Highlight the rows > right-click > Row > Height. Set height to 54 mm. Do not tick Fit to size.

All done.
FrustratedReception wrote:Skimming over chapter 9 it doesnt seem to cover what is is that i'm trying to do.
Skimming is the problem :knock: See more options in Resizing and positioning the table on Page 270 of the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
business cards.odt
table with 86 x 54 mm cells
(9.16 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

I'm glad to have no longer any need of such things, but when I did years ago, I preferred to do it my (stubborn) way. I reproduced an example for you in two versions. See attachments.

(Meanwhile other contributors also have attached files containing their suggestions. As I also included a few words of explanation I offer my versions now, nonetheless.)
Attachments
AOOexample8cardsAsTableWithIndent.ott
(17.89 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
AOOexample8cardsAsTable.ott
(17 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Set paper size and margins with Format → Page. Some printers are unable to print all the way to the edge of the paper so you will need to consult your printer's documentation to determine that. Insert 4 × 2 table, select all the cells, and set their sizes with Table → Autofit → Column width / Row height. For example, A4 is 210 mm wide, your printer can't print within 5 mm of an edge, and you will print 2-across. So the table cell width to fill the page width is (210-5-5)/2 = 100 mm.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I admit that many printers cannot print to the paper edge; one way around this is to use an oversized sheet (if the printer will permit it, and if one has the facilities for trimming the paper afterwards).

In the present case, where Identification badges are being discussed, it may be that the details entered on the badge will not extend to the badge edge, and the unprintable margin (typically 1/4 inch or 6mm) can be ignored. This, of course, is dependent on the precise design and information involved.