Unable to select objects copied from Web document

Discuss the word processor
ribower

Unable to select objects copied from Web document

Post by ribower »

I copied a blog post from the Web to Writer. It contains some horizontal bar or line graphics. I want to delete them but Writer acts as if they are not there when I try to select them for deletion.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Unable to select objects copied from Web document

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Select them in Navigator (F5).

Or use Edit > Paste special .... It strips everything and pastes just the plain text.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ribower

Post by ribower »

Navigator does not appear to recognize these graphics either. I would prefer not to copy the doc again with paste special as I have made some edits to the text. So I tried paste special and it worked to copy only the text. But I would still like to find out if there is a way to remove these objects after copying to writer, or why it is impossible. And thanks for your help. This is a tremendous product and I appreciate all who have worked to bring it about!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload a small example document file (eg .odt) with a graphic which cannot be deleted so that it can be analysed.

Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max) or use a file share site for a larger file.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ribower

Post by ribower »

Problem document attached.
Attachments
Daniel Peterson - Deification.odt
(30.94 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Very Simple: these are paragraph borders. Place cursor in the paragraph above the border you wish to delete and use /Format /Paragraph : Borders tab. You will see that in the left-hand display box on that tab the border is shown. Click on the lefthand icon above that display box and you will turn off the border.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ribower

Post by ribower »

Well that indeed worked for a while. But when I get to the last two borders in the doc it removes the targeted border but then the border reappears ABOVE that paragraph.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable - it's probably a border above a paragraph.

See Defining borders and backgrounds in Chapter 4 Formatting Pages.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think you may have to uncheck Merge with next paragraph on that same tab, or else chase the border removal up the document paragraph by paragraph.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ribower

Post by ribower »

these problem borders are below the paragraph. And unchecking the merge did not help. Moving up the doc continues. I sure appreciate you who take the time to help those of us with problems! In the next version, how about implementing right click delete for these borders??
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

ribower wrote:these problem borders are below the paragraph. And unchecking the merge did not help. Moving up the doc continues.
See the Tutorial you were given for how to delete them. Download the example file to see how they work.