[Solved] "Convert to PDF" results in blurry text

Discuss the word processor
blurryPDF

[Solved] "Convert to PDF" results in blurry text

Post by blurryPDF »

Hi, I'm new on the forum.

As my nickname and the title suggest, I'm having problems with converting files (text only) to a PDF document. The problem is, the text looks blurry or "grainy" when converted, no matter which settings I use, I checked and unchecked everything, I tried every resolution from 75DPI to 1200 DPI, "Lossless compression", "JPG compression", nothing works. To read the converted file I use windows default PDF reader, MAGNIFICATION: 121% - the text looks kind of small, even if the font is Times New Roman 12 points. At a lower magnification (100%) the page is too small to be read, at a higher magnification (133%) the text is unecessarily big and in any case it doesn't look any better.

I've tried to print the file to a XPS document and the quality is eccellent, with the text looking as neat and defined as it is while I'm writing it. However, since XPS is a very old format and not much popular, I prefer not to use it. What should i do to get a decent-looking PDF document with OO?

Sorry if my post is a bit unclear, English is not my first language.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
windows 8.1/Open Office 4.1.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: "Convert to PDF" results in blurry text.

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload (or share on a free file sharing service) some ODF and PDF type sample files here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You need to work out if it is the PDF which is the problem (very unlikely) or the reader which is the problem (almost certainly).
blurryPDF wrote: ... I tried every resolution from 75DPI to 1200 DPI, "Lossless compression", "JPG compression", nothing works.
These settings only apply to images - they do not affect text.
blurryPDF wrote:To read the converted file I use windows default PDF reader ...
You are using the Edge browser as your PDF reader. Use Adobe Reader - it is far better. Download test.pdf - how does it appear?

Upload a single page .odt file and a PDF created from it so both can be analysed. Use the Upload attachment tab below where you type (128 kB max) or use a file share site for a larger file.

test.pdf has 12 point Times New Roman text which is perfect when magnified 800% or more.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
12 point Times New Roman in a PDF created with AOO and viewed with Adobe Reader at 800% magnification
12 point Times New Roman in a PDF created with AOO and viewed with Adobe Reader at 800% magnification
test.pdf
(22.73 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
blurryPDF

Post by blurryPDF »

John_Ha and zizi64 thank you for your help.

John_Ha you was right; the problem was the reader I used to visualize the PDFs. I downloaded and used Acrobat reader and the PDFs look okay now.

if don't mind me asking; what is it this Edge broweser I was using to open the PDFs and how does it work? Is it safe in terms of privacy to open PDFs with it or is it safer to do it with Acrobat reader? It's just a doubt I have as a person who doesn't know much about this kind of things...
windows 8.1/Open Office 4.1.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Edge is Microsoft's replacement for Internet Explorer. I don't use it as I don't trust it or Internet Explorer. I think the fuzziness is because you have probably set Windows to use larger than default text sizes.

Be sure to set up Windows ClearType properly - Google it.

I have used Firefox for many years and I am very pleased with it.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.