[SOLVED] Hyperlinks in Writer (.odt) document inactive

Discuss the word processor
kingfisher
Volunteer

[SOLVED] Hyperlinks in Writer (.odt) document inactive

Post by kingfisher »

Hello. I have searched here and in Tutorials as well as the application help but nothing is found with +hyperlink +inactive.

I use Writer infrequently. I have no trouble with hyperlinks in Calc. However, in a document in Writer, all hyperlinks appear to be inactive. I say that because there is no indication (such as a change in the mouse pointer) to indicate otherwise and clicking or double-clicking on the link does NOT launch the linked web page in the open browser.

The first snapshop is of a link as it appears :

The second snapshop is of the dialogue to edit that hyperlink :

I must be missing something obvious but what?
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Hyperlinks in Writer (.odt) document inactive

Post by Bill »

Moving the mouse pointer over a hyperlink in Writer should display a tooltip "Ctrl-click to open hyperlink...".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There is an option to turn off the requirement for Ctrl+Click in Tools>OPtions>Security>[Options...]
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

kingfisher wrote:... in a document in Writer, all hyperlinks appear to be inactive.
Tools > AutoCorrect > Options. Tick URL recognition.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks for the replies. No tool tip is displayed when the mouse pointer is hovered but CTRL + click opens the linked page in the browser.

I switched off the requirement for CTRL + click in Tools > Options and now the mouse pointer changes as it does when hovered over links in spreadsheets and opens the page with a simple click. I am marking the question as solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux