Using a tablet with Open Office

Discuss the word processor
brusell19

Using a tablet with Open Office

Post by brusell19 »

I am using OpenOffice 2.4 on a MacBook Pro which runs on Mac OSX Leopard. The tablet I am using is a Wacom Bamboo tablet. With this equipment and systems I am wondering if it is possible to use my tablet to write directly onto Write files without having my handwriting converted into text. I had heard that something like thiscan be done using Office, and was wondering if something similar exists in OpenOffice, and how I can access it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: Using a tablet with Open Office

Post by AndrewZ »

OpenOffice.org (as of 3.0) itself doesn't have support for handwriting-to-text conversion, so it would only work if the feature was somehow provided by your operating system or device.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
brusell19

Post by brusell19 »

Thank you.

And a don't suppose there would be a function that would allow me to simply handwrite straight onto some sort of Open Office document in the current version of Open Office?
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

No, your only option is to use another program and copy and paste into Writer. Gimp will do the job.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
brusell19

Post by brusell19 »

Ok, thank you. Unfortunately I do not know what Gimp is, so if anyone could provide me with details on it that would be great!
Thanks.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

OpenOffice.org Draw and Writer(?) and Impress(?) have a freehand writing function. It's called freeform line, and it's in the drawing toolbar.

GIMP info is here: http://www.gimp.org/
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Eban65

Post by Eban65 »

I think you speak about two different things. The Wacom board is in the original question not wished to be used to produce pictures. It's a wish to use it in Writer to, instead of key board input words, recognize handwritten words on the Wacom board.
Wacom has a program "JustWrite" for that and its works with MS Office.
I think Wacom must be pushed to do something about this, but maybe there is someone handy man that can make a OOo plug-in?
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista