[Solved] No way to set save as to .odt. How to correct

Discuss the word processor
JamesEJ

[Solved] No way to set save as to .odt. How to correct

Post by JamesEJ »

Please see:https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... a_document
Sounds exactly right but in the "always save as" choices there exists no OpenDocument Text (.odt) to enable my documents to be saved in the .odt format like I desire to do always. How the heck to enable that .odt option to appear? I tried a repair of the Oo writer, to no avail.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Jim
Last edited by JamesEJ on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
FJCC

Re: NO WAY TO SET SAVE AS TO .ODT. HOW TO CORRECT?

Post by FJCC »

It sounds like you are in the menu Tools > Options > Load/Save. Are you sure the Document Type is set to Text Document?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

No way to set save as to .odt. How to correct?

Post by robleyd »

So we know we are talking about the same thing, is the below image the setting you are referring to?
Load/Save settings
Load/Save settings
Or are you referring to the Save As dialog?
Save As dialog box, opened from Writer
Save As dialog box, opened from Writer
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

to FJCC: absolutely. Weird I know but true. It says under document type in the window "text document".

It says under "always save as" in the window "text encoded".

There is no .odt option to change to in the latter. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

To robleyd: those shots are the right ones. trouble is that the .odt option (like it shows) which is supposed to be there does not any longer exist. So those highlighted part with .odt in them do not exist.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

Do appreciate both replies and your thoughts guys. Really do!!
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

What do you actually see? Screenshots might help us help you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

I have no shot ability I know of. Got a way? I'll give it a good old college try!! Otherwise, I'll just write them out. But what I told already is correct. I just an thinking out loud here but is it that you can't come to believe it, that prompts the suggestion?
Said with due respect, Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I make the suggestion as there may be something in the image that will give us a clue, something which you may not notice or think important. However, it is your choice.

For information on taking a screen shot, I suggest you search for "screen shot windows 7" in your favourite search engine.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

The Always Save As window options are:

Open Office.org XML 1.0 text document
OpenOffice.org XML 1.0 text document template
Rich Text Format
text
text encoded
Uniform Office format 2 text

That's all folks :D

....Tried keyboard print screen (win7 x64). No go. what do you use plz.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

got a screenshot of it pasted on an Oo page but cannot paste here. WHAT? J
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You can't paste an image here, but you can use the Upload attachment tab from the PostReply (not QuickReply) page to upload a file that has been saved on your system and contains the screenshot.
I don't know what you used to get your screenshot, but as you stated that you pasted it into OO, then just save the file that you created when you pasted the screenshot, then upload that file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

the subject has become this:

Pressing PRINT SCREEN captures an image of your entire screen and copies it to the Clipboard in your computer's memory. You can then paste (CTRL+V) the image into a document, email message, or other file. The PRINT SCREEN key is usually located in the upper right corner of your keyboard.

Notably absent is a web page recipient of a print screen shot. I simply cannot do the impossible guys. Sorry! Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

This is a web browser, you can't paste images into a web page. However, there is a method of adding documents to the forum: [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here.

You are talking about setting defaults under the Load/Save | General settings. When you open that dialog and open the drop down list for "Always save as" is there a scroll bar on the right of the drop down? If so, try scrolling up and see if there are more options.

By default, the always save as option should be the Open Document Format type applicable to the tool you are using, e.g. .odt for Writer, .ods for Calc.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

robleyd wrote:This is a web browser, you can't paste images into a web page. However, there is a method of adding documents to the forum: [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here.

You are talking about setting defaults under the Load/Save | General settings. When you open that dialog and open the drop down list for "Always save as" is there a scroll bar on the right of the drop down? If so, try scrolling up and see if there are more options.

By default, the always save as option should be the Open Document Format type applicable to the tool you are using, e.g. .odt for Writer, .ods for Calc.
Do not know what to say, guy. I printed out the options stated. Scroll down a bit and read them please. what is supposed to be is NOT what happening here. I have made that clear. If you just simply do not know, just say so, then hopes are someone else will know. Nothing wrong in saying "I do not know" It's honest is all. Polite as I can be, I say thank you robled! Jim :?
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

Think its a good time to close for the nite here in Seattle Washington, USA. Getting frustrated and need to settle down for a time. You guys in different time zones, please feel free to add your thoughts. Will be back, no question about it. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

When you open that dialog and open the drop down list for "Always save as" is there a scroll bar on the right of the drop down? If so, try scrolling up and see if there are more options.
I understand that you can only see six options, which you listed as:
Rich Text Format
text
text encoded

I mentioned the scroll bar because when I open the Always save as list, the list is scrolled down from the top to the current setting. You haven't answered whether you see a scroll bar on the right as I asked in my earlier post; if there is a scroll bar then maybe you just need to scroll around to find what you want. If there is no scroll bar, the issue is different.

From your description, your dialog may look like this:
Similar to what you see? Note scroll bar on the right in my installation.
Similar to what you see? Note scroll bar on the right in my installation.
If I scroll up from there I see additional choices - seventeen in all.
save_as_options2.png
I'll leave it at that as I appear to not be able to assist in the manner OP seems to want.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JamesEJ wrote:to FJCC: absolutely. Weird I know but true. It says under document type in the window "text document".

It says under "always save as" in the window "text encoded".

There is no .odt option to change to in the latter. Jim
That may be because file name extensions aren't used in the "Always save as" list. "Always save as" should be set to "ODF Text Document", not "OpenDocument Text (.odt)".

The screen shot in the link shows the Save As dialog in an old version of OOo. The terminology shown there has changed in AOO 4. "OpenDocument Text (.odt)" is what the screen shot shows on the Save As dialog. On my system with AOO 4.1.5, the Save As dialog shows "ODF Text Document (.odt)". There is no screen shot showing the Options-Load/Save-General dialog where you find "Always save as" options.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JamesEJ wrote:I have no shot ability I know of. Got a way?
I don't use Windows 7, but a Google search turned up information about the Snipping Tool which is supposedly installed in all versions of Windows 7.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Considering screenshots, I'll try to clear up what has been already mentioned, but perhaps slightly convoluted.

The PrintScr/Alt-PrintScr method makes an image available on the clipboard. You have already pasted that into a document. Now save your document, post a reply here and use the Upload attachment tab below the edit pane to attach your document.

With the snipping tool you still get the image available on the clipboard, so the above procedure is possible. The tool also allows you to save the screenshot as an image file. Save it as a "png" image file. Attach the image file to a posting here. You don't need the extra step to "package" it inside a document (and we won't need the extra step through Writer to unpack it again).

Hopefully robleyd's tip about scroll bar in pulldown list clears up the problem, so you won't need this. ;)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Uninstall AOO completely.
2. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\User to ...\User_OLD
3. Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
4. Install AOO

The problem will be fixed. Your saved documents will not be affected.

If required copy back the folders below ...\User to get back your customisation except do not copy back \User\Config.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

The web convention is that using capitals implies SHOUTING so please change your subject line to lower case at the same time.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

keme wrote:Considering screenshots, I'll try to clear up what has been already mentioned, but perhaps slightly convoluted.

The PrintScr/Alt-PrintScr method makes an image available on the clipboard. You have already pasted that into a document. Now save your document, post a reply here and use the Upload attachment tab below the edit pane to attach your document.

With the snipping tool you still get the image available on the clipboard, so the above procedure is possible. The tool also allows you to save the screenshot as an image file. Save it as a "png" image file. Attach the image file to a posting here. You don't need the extra step to "package" it inside a document (and we won't need the extra step through Writer to unpack it again).

Hopefully robleyd's tip about scroll bar in pulldown list clears up the problem, so you won't need this. ;)
Hey Keme> Thanks for the info. I went to my other pc (PC2) to make an Oo document of print screen How To's, since PC2 will make reliable documents while this PC1 will not. That is why I need the "always save as" .odt options available on PC1. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

John_Ha wrote:1. Uninstall AOO completely.
4. Install AOO

If required copy back the folders below ...\User to get back your customisation except do not copy back \User\Config.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

The web convention is that using capitals implies SHOUTING so please change your subject line to lower case at the same time.
Yeah John, was thinking along those lines too. But was not sure about my connections & usage of Google Drive, and that. thanks for that information update. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

robleyd wrote:
When you open that dialog and open the drop down list for "Always save as" is there a scroll bar on the right of the drop down? If so, try scrolling up and see if there are more options.
I understand that you can only see six options, which you listed as:
Rich Text Format
text
text encoded

I mentioned the scroll bar because when I open the Always save as list, the list is scrolled down from the top to the current setting. You haven't answered whether you see a scroll bar on the right as I asked in my earlier post; if there is a scroll bar then maybe you just need to scroll around to find what you want. If there is no scroll bar, the issue is different.

From your description, your dialog may look like this:
save_as_options1.png
If I scroll up from there I see additional choices - seventeen in all.
save_as_options2.png
I'll leave it at that as I appear to not be able to assist in the manner OP seems to want.
Yes, there is a scrollbar. But what is available by using it goes to the heart of the problem I am trying to solve. There simply are no .odt options as you can see from the list. that I what I needed to be fixed in the first instance.

Again guys, if you do not know how to or whether this can be fixed just say so. I'll understand that you simply just do not know. I do not know is a good honest answer.

Looks like I may be headed for a complete uninstall and then reinstall to do the fix. any other thots on that method given I run Google Drive?
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Reinstall - it will be quicker than debugging if you cannot work out how to take a screenshot and reduce its size to allow it to post (128 kB max - save as a GIF for minimum size).

As you will be re-installing in any case, you could try a "brute force and ignorance short cut method which may corrupt AOO and not work". Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\share\config and paste it to replace C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\config.

Better would be to close AOO. Delete (or rename) C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user. Start AOO.

Best is a complete uninstall as described earlier followed by a reinstall. You will then see as below:
Clipboard02.gif
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

John_Ha wrote:1. Uninstall AOO completely.
4. Install AOO

Well sorry about the shout but it fits this time: HOORAY TO JON_HA, THE TOP HERO OF THIS SUBJECT. YAY!!!!! You did address the subject along with the fix. So you get the credit on this one. Thanks Bud!!

I know you all were trying tho the .odt access subject at hand got skipped in the scramble, a Big Thank You to you all also!
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium