[Solved] Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)

Discuss the word processor
Dapeas

[Solved] Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)

Post by Dapeas »

How do I change from English to my default CTL? Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages shows my default CTL to be Hebrew with a checkmark next to the abc dictionary. I do not see an 'enable' button, only OK, CANCEL, HELP, and BACK. Also, the word Hebrew does not appear at the bottom of the document, only English, in order to change it there. I do see the Paragraph symbol that was added when I downloaded the Hebrew Language Package. I need to submit this document asap. Thanks. :)
Last edited by floris v on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged as Solved, floris v, moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows Vista
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)

Post by floris v »

At the bottom of the options window are to check boxes to enable complex text lay-out (CTL) and Asiatic languages. Tick the one for CTL and you will be able to select a default language for Right to Left writing. In your document it will take effect when you change the language to Hebrew.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Duplicated post.
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you search the forum with hebrew you will find many posts with the answer.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages. Choosing language settings is covered in Chapter 2.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Dapeas

[SOLVED] Re: Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)

Post by Dapeas »

I have spent two full nights trying to figure this out including reading other threads and your posts above that were posted on other threads. I am exhausted with no sleep racing to meet a deadline of writing a document in Hebrew. I found bits and pieces in different posts and document as to what needs to be done. I would like to make it easier for the next guy.

To be able to write in Hebrew:
1. Upgrade to OpenOffice 4.1.5 in order to do #2 below. (Uses 300MB, but must have 1GB free-if I understand correctly)
2. Download Hebrew Language Pack for OpenOffice (allows to write from R to L)
3. Download Hebrew dictionary to have spell check
4. ADD HEBREW LANGUAGE: Control panel>Change Keyboards and input methods>Change keyboards>(choose Hebrew from dropdown menu above)>Add [You will see Hebrew now listed]
5. Use alt+shift to switch back and forth between languages
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Well done! And thank you for getting back to us to post this. :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Dapeas

Re: [Solved] Unable to change to my default CTL (Hebrew)

Post by Dapeas »

Thanks.

Update:
After all my hard work, four days later I was unable to write in Hebrew.
1. I had to reADD the Hebrew language to the control panel (step #4 above) since it somehow disappeared. (I had reinstalled Firefox the previous day...did that erase it?)
2. Of note: Even though Hebrew is now working again, it does not show in the language bar at the bottom of the screen below the document, BUT ALT+SHIFT (or SHIFT+ALT, both work) does change the font to Hebrew! All good to go again.
3. Further, I had to reADD the Hebrew dictionary extension for spell check. (see #4 on list at viewtopic.php?p=364#p364)
I knew this because the ABC+check mark had disappeared next to the Hebrew language for my CTL (click 'more...': [tools>language>for all text>more] or from bottom language bar: click name of language under document>More...]