[Solved] Merge spreadsheet data into Writer file

Discuss the word processor
anhnn1234

[Solved] Merge spreadsheet data into Writer file

Post by anhnn1234 »

I'm using LibreOffice Version: 5.1.6.2

What I'd like to do is to take an existing writer document that has a bunch of text in it & personalize it based on information that I have in a spreadsheet. However, this isn't a form letter type of document. So, what I'd like to do is to have various fields like price, industry, business name that I insert where relevant in the writer document.

I want to pull that information from the spreadsheet into the document. Then I'd like to create a final document where I can save each file individually based upon the number of rows in the spreadsheet.

I've been having not so good success trying to do this with the Mail Merge wizard (and without) & I figured that I would ask for guidance on the best way to do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply [robleyd, Moderator].
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Merge spreadsheet data into Writer file

Post by thomasjk »

I'll suggest reading this old but still applicable article on mail merge http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org. It should help answer your questions.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
MrProgrammer

Re: Merge spreadsheet data into Writer file

Post by MrProgrammer »

anhnn1234 wrote:I'd like to create a final document where I can save each file individually based upon the number of rows in the spreadsheet.
You have just described a form letter.
anhnn1234 wrote:I want to pull that information from the spreadsheet into the document.
Create a database whose source is your spreadsheet. Insert → Fields → Other → Database → Mail Merge Fields → {database} → {table} → {field} → Insert. Repeat as needed to select all fields. File → Print → Form letter? → Yes