Page number changes not saving

Discuss the word processor
cookiecrsp

Page number changes not saving

Post by cookiecrsp »

I have a series of large documents number over 500 pages split into 3 different .doc files. The issue I'm having is I changed the starting number on the third document to start with page number 440. It numbers all of the pages correctly I save the document and close it. When I reopen the file the starting number changes to 184. I thought it might have been an issue with the .doc file so I tried making a copy and using .odt and it still does the same thing. Another note is that the first 2 documents I created (numbed 1-150 on one document and 151-439 on the second) do not have this issue. I can renumber the pages correctly and export to a PDF for printing purposes but I will need to share these files with someone else for editing and the numbers will need to be correct. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: The only applied page style is default in case that matters.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Page number changes not saving

Post by RoryOF »

184+256=440

Work and Save in .odt format. If yuor collaborator is using Word 2007 or later he can open .odt files, but with limited support (Microsoft's problem!).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The only applied page style is default in case that matters.
The microsoft binary .doc filetype not know (can not handle) the "Page styles" property.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
cookiecrsp

Post by cookiecrsp »

Thank you for the reply. The original template i started with was a .doc file and I have two files with hundreds of pages that don't have this issue. I've also tried using .odt format and it does the same thing. I would be happy to work in odt if it solved the problem.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The original template i started with was a .doc file and I have two files with hundreds of pages that don't have this issue. I've also tried using .odt format and it does the same thing. I would be happy to work in odt if it solved the problem.
Please upload an .odt type sample document here.

Delete most of the text (and pictures and other objects) from a copy of the third document and upload it here. (because the file size limit is 128 KiB in this forum, and because you probably want not upload your whole document...)

or :

Please create a brand new .odt type document, type-in (or paste) some dummy text into it, prepare the footer and/or the header with the page numbers, and set the starting page number to 440. Then save it. And finally upload it here.

We will try to examine it, what causes the problem.

or:

try the LibreOffice
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

IIRC there is a problem with the "doc" export and/or import filter in OpenOffice, where page numbers are handled as "8 bit unsigned integer". All page numbers after 255 will show "modulo 256". 440 mod 256 = 184.
cookiecrsp wrote:Thank you for the reply. The original template i started with was a .doc file and I have two files with hundreds of pages that don't have this issue. I've also tried using .odt format and it does the same thing. I would be happy to work in odt if it solved the problem.
This should not happen with odt files. Puzzled now ...

May be some residue from the import/export filters in the existing numbering field. Try a shot in the dark: Insert another page number field in header or footer, and save as odt again.
cookiecrsp

Post by cookiecrsp »

I removed some of the pages out of a file and attached it below. It always reverts back to pg# 184 after saving closing the file and reopening.

I just don't understand why the first two files(pg 1-439) dont have this issue but the last two(440-749) do.
Attachments
Test File.doc
(34 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The first two documents don't have the issue because the the bug only affects documents with a starting page number higher than 255:

Issue 50334 - WW8: Page number starting higher than 255 not handled by import

When I changed the page number from 184 to 440 and saved in .odt format the page number remained 440 when the document was reopened. The problem only affected the .doc format document.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just downloaded your sample Test File.doc file and tried it in my LibreOffice 5.4.7. The starting Page number appeared as 440 in the .doc type document. Then I saved it as Test File.odt, then I closed and reopened it with the LO5.4.7. The starting Page number still 440.
The Test.odt in the LibreOffice
The Test.odt in the LibreOffice
But when I open the original Test File.doc in my portable AOO 4.1.5, the starting page number appeared as 184.

It means: the issue is fixed in LibreOffice but not in the Apache OpenOffice.

I suggest you (again): Try the LibreOffice (at least a portable veruion of it.)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of the differences between .odt and .doc files, and why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

Save the file as a .odt. Set the page number. It will now be fixed.
Attachments
Differences between files.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.