[Solved] No headings appear in Navigator

Discuss the word processor
EasyGoingPat

[Solved] No headings appear in Navigator

Post by EasyGoingPat »

I have a document that has three instances of 'Heading 1'. When I hover over Navigator | Headings, it says '0 Headings'. What am I missing?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

:?:
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Libre Office 7.2.0.4 on Windows 10 x64
RoryOF

Re: No headings appear in Navigator

Post by RoryOF »

When you right click on Navigator / Headings, what level is set?

Please try the attached file. Are you able to see headings up to Heading 3 in Navigator? and by right clicking on Headings in Navigator, can you turn off the display of Headings 3 and 2?
Attachments
Headings.odt
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Headings that haven't been assigned to an outline level won't appear in the Navigator. Right-click one of the Heading 1 headings and select "Edit paragraph style". On the paragraph style dialog, select the "Outline & Numbering" tab. If the Outline level is "Body text", then you can either open the drop-down list and select an outline level for the Heading 1 style or use Tools > Outline Numbering to assign the heading styles to outline levels.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
EasyGoingPat

Post by EasyGoingPat »

Thanks, guys. It is working fine now. The problem was that the headings were not assigned to an outline level.

Off topic, but is it possible to disable some of the types of navigation item in the Navigator? While such functionality is great to have, most of it is just screen clutter in my current document because it is structurally so simple.

Kind wishes ~ Patrick
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

EasyGoingPat wrote:... is it possible to disable some of the types of navigation item in the Navigator? ...
There is "Contents view" which only shows the headings outline. Window icon with up/down "collapse" arrows.

I do not know of any other ways to hide parts of the structure in the navigator.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can collapse the navigator, usually against the right frame of the OO window, and expand it by clicking on the five little dots in the centre of the right bar of the frame when Navigator is collapsed.

I use a second monitor to hold navigator and sidebar - it is only 1024x768 (an old monitor to which I am giving a good home), but this makes editing much easier.
EasyGoingPat

Post by EasyGoingPat »

Both great tips! I didn't realise the Navigator could be floated in its own separate window. This works great for me because I already use a second monitor. And the Contents View is precisely what I was wanting!

Thank you!

- Patrick

PS - I am a complete OO newbie who only installed it to see if there was any chance it might serve as replacement for the once-mighty but now bloated and clunky Word. As such, I'd just like to say that one place OO is head-and-shoulders above Word is in the level of support here in the user forum. It cannot be overstated how useful that is to a newbie like me, and I suspect will continue to be as useful even when I start to get to grips with it. Excellent!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may find this document informative:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document covers much the same ground as the previous document. It will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whi ... th_OOo.odt

There is also a full Writer manual, but the first document above should cover almost everything needed for quite advanced use.