How do I get rid of red squiggle below hyphen?

Discuss the word processor
EasyGoingPat

How do I get rid of red squiggle below hyphen?

Post by EasyGoingPat »

I am using Writer on a Windows 10 machine configured to use 'United Kingdom Keyboard'. My physical keyboard is a bog-standard 102-key Panrix that I've used for over 15 years. In Word and all other applications, I have always used the minus sign (between the '0' and the '=' on my keyboard) for a hyphen. When I do this on Writer, it is underlined by a red squiggle. How can I stop this?

For example, if I try to write 'seven-year-old girl' the 'seven-year-old' will be underlined as an error.

UPDATE

It turns out that the red squiggle was because I had made the above phrase plural - i.e. 'seven-year-olds'. So I am happy to fix that simply by adding the phrase to my dictionary for this document.

I am, however, left with a blue squiggle when I try to use a hyphen as a form of parenthesis. For example, "I would love to know - assuming she even knows herself - how she proposes to pay for all this." Is this something to do with having to use an en or em dash here instead?

Kind wishes ~ Patrick
Libre Office 7.2.0.4 on Windows 10 x64
RoryOF

Re: How do I get rid of red squiggle below hyphen?

Post by RoryOF »

I normally use a double hyphen, which OO replaces as an en(?) dash in such circumstances. Are you using Language Tool? If so it may be caused by a setting in /Tools /LanguageTool /Options :Typography.

I find it is simpler to check flagged possible errors, correct them if necessary, otherwise ignore the flagging.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
EasyGoingPat

Post by EasyGoingPat »

Yes, using an en-dash does the trick. Thank you.

I'd still prefer to turn off the flagging if it were possible. So if anyone ever stumbles across this thread and knows how to do this, I'd love to know.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are using Language Tool, select /Tools /Language Tool /Options and on the Grammar Rules tab, Double click "Punctuation Errors" and deselect "Hyphen, n-dash and m-dash" (and any others you wish).
EasyGoingPat

Post by EasyGoingPat »

I am using Language Tool but I can't find anywhere to change the options you mention. I have attached an image of my Tools menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpy12za3r8zvj ... u.png?dl=0
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My Tools menu has Language Tool just below Languages. However, I am working on a linux distro; if you are using LibreOffice rather than OO, and also are working on Windows, the setting for LanguageTool may be in a different location. Perhaps a Windows user will tell where it is. A query on the LanguageTool support forum may also be helpful.