Strange space w/no Invisibles graphic

Post by bfdc »

pic1
pic1
mysteryspaceinootext.jpeg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
pic2
pic2
mysteryspaceselected.jpeg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
In the pic1 jpeg, you'll see four paragraph return "invisibles" characters (the backward "P") above some text.

The second return has a space before it, denoted by the dot.

The fourth return has a space before it with no graphic as to what it is.

In pic2, I have selected the mystery space (it's a different instance, hence the missing space in row 2).

The capture was made of a copy of a TextEdit .txt file placed into OpenOffice Writer in order to run macros. The captures are taken before running the macros. The strange space is not evident in TextEdit nor in Pages when I switch on invisibles.

Though I can select the mystery space, I cannot seem to copy it in order to be able to search and replace to get rid of it.

The odd space shows up before some returns and nowhere else that I've found so far, and whatever it is, it can cause additional returns when the file is returned to TextEdit making it look double-spaced and double-spacing looking quadruple space, and eventually can cause bigger problems with dissemination software that the .txt fill is sent to.

I have worked around it, but would rather use that important time for reading Andy Capp comics or making a bowl of oatmeal or something. Am hoping that somebody of the development sort might have an idea of how to fix this in OO version 4.1.5a.

I use OO 4.1.5 on a MacBook Air running High Sierra version 10.13.5.

Thanks.
<><>
Think the best of yourself, and those around you. Drink plenty of water.
<><>
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Strange space w/no Invisibles graphic

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a real ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
bfdc

Post by bfdc »

mysteryspacesample.odt
(14.15 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
mysteryspace3.jpeg
mysteryspace3.jpeg (18.59 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
The screen capture shows the invisibles, and the extra space is evident after "applicable" and "day" and the space above "headline" and after "headline."
<><>
<><>
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If I dig into the contents of your .odt file, I find the blank spots are populated by two &#x0d which is a representation of a carriage return; if these have been imported from your text file, it seems AOO isn't interpreting them correctly or perhaps they are not correctly presented in the text file. Without seeing the source file this is guesswork of course. Are you able to upload the source?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
bfdc

Post by bfdc »

mysteryspaceoriginfile.txt
(49 Bytes) Downloaded 132 times
mysteryspace-odt-invisibles.jpeg
mysteryspace-odt-invisibles.jpeg (25.56 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
The TextEdit file is UTF-8, version 1.13 (333).

The OpenOffice screen capture shows the extra spaces at the end of lines 1, 2 (2 on this one), 5, 6, 8, and 9.

There are actual spaces indicated by the dots on lines 1 and 4.

Thanks.
<><>
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Your text file seems to have carriage return characters - hex 0d - which cause interesting effects both when opened in Writer and displayed using some Linux command line tools. The attached image shows what (one of) my tools finds in the file. I wonder if the file has been produced on, or sometime edited on, a Windows machine?

If you open the file in a hex editor yourself, you should be able to see the non-printing CR characters.
Attachments
hextext.png
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There are some strange character combinations in your .txt file.

Normally the 0D 0A pair is the "Carriage Return + Line Feed" (in other word: line-end) control character. (The 0D 0A was inherited from the mechanical/electro-mechanical typewriter machines.
(You can use only the CR on those old machines: in this case the text of the line will be overwrite with the next typed-in text, because the typewriter will print in same line....
Or you can use the LF only: the actual line will continued in the next line even if the "cursor" is in the middle of the line.)

But here are standalone 0D charaters too in your text file... and there are "flipped order" combinations (or missing 0D-s) in your .txt file :

0D 0A 0A 0D 0A 0D 0A.
(See it on Robleyd's attached picture.)

These are non-regular character combinations... My simple text editor / viewer can not display them: it simply eliminates them. But it will disturb the working of the AOO/LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.