[Solved] Jabref connection setup finds more than 1 exe.

Discuss the word processor
PalD

[Solved] Jabref connection setup finds more than 1 exe.

Post by PalD »

Hi there,
I'm using Jabref citation manager to integrate references in my OO writer odt files. Used to work like a charm. After updating both OO to v 4.1.5 and Jabref (v4.3.1.) I get this weird error message on trying to establish a connection between Jabref and OO writer "Found more than one OpenOffice/LibreOffice executable. Please choose which one to connect to". Both options are C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4 and neither of them get me connected to the opened odt file. Uninstalling and re-installing both Jabref and OO had no effect. JRE packages are installed correctly, seems like there are two installations running? Running out of options, anybody a clue? Win7 64bit, Jabref 32bit
Last edited by PalD on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 64bit
RusselB

Re: Jabref OO connection setup finds more than 1 OO executab

Post by RusselB »

First off, Welcome to the Forums,
Since this is a recent problem involving two different programs, only one of which is supported (to my knowledge) on this forum, my first question would be, did you do a reboot between the installations?
You state that the error message states that there is more than one executable found, yet in the path you specified, no executable is specified.
OpenOffice consists of many executables... one for each section. scalc.exe for Calc, swriter.exe for Writer, sbase.exe for Base (etc.)
Does the error message actually specify which executable it is finding more than one of?
Do you have both LibreOffice and OpenOffice installed? Normally there is no problem in having both installed on the same system.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
PalD

Post by PalD »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, rebooted my system. I know there's no executable under C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4 Jabref simply requests the location of the OO installation where it will search for soffice.exe within the program folder. Just checked and there's only one soffice.exe located there. Only have OpenOffice installed; no LibreOffice. Surprisingly though (at least to me) I can't locate OpenOffice under the start menu, only find an empty OpenOffice 4.1.5 folder. Thats why I thought this might be an OpenOffice issue.
PalD

Post by PalD »

Well as Administrator I do find OpenOffice files under the start menus OpenOffice 4.1.5 folder, but not as user. I this correct or an installation failure? If so, then how to proceed?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normally, during installation of OpenOffice, one is asked "Install for this User only, or for all Users" (words to that effect). Try a reinstallation and select to install for all users.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PalD

Post by PalD »

@RoryOF thanks, that solved the availability under the start menu. However still no connection with Jabref, will take this issue with the Jabref forum