Problem with footnotes

Discuss the word processor
HistoryGirl

Problem with footnotes

Post by HistoryGirl »

I am trying to write my thesis in Open Office Writer and there is a problem with footnotes once they get into double digits.

Everytime I open the file the footnotes only have the first number in the text shaded/reacting as a footnote and in the footnote box itself the first, 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) numbers of the footnote number are spaced out from each other. Even if I fix this by redoing the footnote and then save it, next time I re-open the document it will have reverted. I can't have this happening constantly.

Can anyone help?
Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Problem with footnotes.

Post by robleyd »

Are you saving your document as .odt format?

Not related, but as this would seem to be a very important document for you, are you making regular, multiple backups? You might find the Timestamped backup extension useful for this purpose. I suggest this as we seem to see nearly weekly pleas for help from people whose document has been somehow damaged and they have no backups.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Format in which you save?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
HistoryGirl

Post by HistoryGirl »

I've been saving in Microsoft Word format as my supervisors use Microsoft Office on their machines and need to open it when I email them. Would they still be able to open the other format?

Also yes I keep at least 5 backups in 5 different locations split between warious hardware and also cloud storage. Not an issue!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To start with, correct your footnotes, then Save as in .odt format; see if that holds the corrections. Your supervisor, if using MS Office 2207 and later, should be able to open and edit .odt format, but MS's support for that is not complete, any more than OprenOffice's support for .doc is complete.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
HistoryGirl

Post by HistoryGirl »

I'll try as you suggest and report back. Thank you!