[Solved] Additional Line styles

Discuss the word processor
Fr. Frog

[Solved] Additional Line styles

Post by Fr. Frog »

MS Word has some nice line styles, like a "thin-thick-thin" style that looks good on a letterhead. OO seems to have limited line styles (as far as I can find them) and no way (again that I can find) to create custom lines styles and save them. Opening an original MS Word doc with the "thin-thick-thin" line in it results in a thick black line.

Are there any add-ins with more line styles or a way the create or import the ones from Word?

All help appreciated.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Win 10 and OpenOffice 4.1.13
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Additional Line styles

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable and investigate paragraph borders.

You will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Fr. Frog

Post by Fr. Frog »

I've looked in the manuals and the FAQs but have never found anything about adding or modifying additional simple horizontal line styles. Maybe I'm just dense, but there must be a way to additional horizontal line styles created /loaded for repetitive use.

I really like OO but this is driving me nuts :crazy:
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I've looked in the manuals and the FAQs but have never found anything about adding or modifying additional simple horizontal line styles. Maybe I'm just dense, but there must be a way to additional horizontal line styles created /loaded for repetitive use.
The line styles work fine with the horizontal/vertical/curved lines of the graphical elements. Or you meant the lines for the text paragraphs (underline, strikeout line... etc...)?
Linestyles.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Fr. Frog wrote:I've looked in the manuals and the FAQs but have never found anything about adding or modifying additional simple horizontal line styles. Maybe I'm just dense, but there must be a way to additional horizontal line styles created /loaded for repetitive use.
See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable and investigate paragraph borders.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Fr. Frog wrote:OO seems to have … no way … to create custom lines styles and save them.
Create a line. Select it. Format → Object → Line → Line Styles → Add → MyLineStyle → OK → Set Type/Number/Length/Spacing → Modify. Now you have a custom line style you can use in any document.
Fr. Frog wrote:Are there any add-ins with more line styles …?
I don't know of any but you are welcome to search in the Extensions repository. There might even be an extension which supplies line styles from Microsnot Word.
Fr. Frog wrote:Are there [ways] the create or import the ones from Word?
There are buttons in that dialog which allow you to save/load line styles to your user profile. The saved configurations are simple text. If you are skilled in working with XML, any text editor can be used to create new line styles which you can then load via the dialog. I don't know whether Microsnot's line styles can be exported nor how difficult it would be to convert them to the format which OpenOffice accepts. If you only have a few styles you need to create it will be far quicker to use the Line → Line Styles dialog.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Fr. Frog

Post by Fr. Frog »

Thanks. I'll try the directions you posted to create a new line style. I am surprised that OO didn't included the styles from MS Word as a lot of folks have converted from word to OO. :D
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

MS Word is a commercial product and there may be copyright problems. Even if there proved not to be, who could afford to fight Microsoft to prove that there was no copyright?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am surprised that OO didn't included the styles from MS Word
Either the Apache OpenOffice nor the LibreOffice is not an MS Office clone.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.