Convert ascii format back to ODT?

Discuss the word processor
tmaz781

Convert ascii format back to ODT?

Post by tmaz781 »

Hello Everyone ~~

So happy to have found this forum for solving problems that I cause myself! By accident I saved OTD documents in Notepad ascii format. I desperately need to convert these documents so I can read and revise then.

Thanks for any help . . . :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Convert ascii format back to ODT?

Post by RoryOF »

Did you use /File /Save As and select a text format, or did the documents open asking for an ASCII filter?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

By accident I saved OTD documents in Notepad ascii format. I desperately need to convert these documents so I can read and revise then.
There is not any way to restore the original (.odt related) formatting properties from a working ASCII (.txt) format document. The pure txt format files can not store any formatting properties.

The situation is even worse, if your .odt file is damaged, and the ASCII filter is appeared when you want to open it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
tmaz781

Post by tmaz781 »

Thank you so much . . . however, not the answer I wanted! LOL
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload your problematic file here???
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have actually Saved a file in ASCII format (and we don't know for certain until you confirm that) all you can do is Ctrl A to Select All, then apply Text Body paragraph style. That should get all of your document into the most common style. Then you will have to pass through your document, whether manually or using Find and Replace, to apply styles locally, as required, such as for headings. Then /File /Save As and select .odt from the file type dropdown.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. If you went File > Save As ..., and chose .txt, you will have lost all the formatting because .txt files store only characters. .txt files do not store any formatting information, not even the font. Copy the text > Paste into a new document > format it > Save As ..., and choose .odt.

2. If you saved the file as a .odt file, and you get the ASCII filter popup window when you open "the .odt file", this means "the .odt file" you are opening is not a proper .odt file. It is either an ASCII file (eg .txt or .csv) which you have incorrectly renamed as a .odt file; or, more likely, it is a corrupted and damaged .odt file. If the latter your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.