[Solved] About starting new paragraph on a new page

Discuss the word processor
redhalls

[Solved] About starting new paragraph on a new page

Post by redhalls »

Hi,

Sometimes a new paragraph happens to start on the next page. In screenshot, "Sales for antivirus software..." But this creates an empty space between it and the header.

Do I just remove the empty space?

The problem with that: When I edit document sometimes paragraphs move and that particular paragraph may end up on a single page, without spaces, since I removed the space e.g.
When I was an affiliate of an antivirus software I was aware that every now and then there’s a new type of malware e.g. ‘WannaCry Ransomware Attack’.
Sales for antivirus software go up in the Xmas holidays probably because they plan to do a lot of online shopping. Buzzwords include....
Instead of:
When I was an affiliate of an antivirus software I was aware that every now and then there’s a new type of malware e.g. ‘WannaCry Ransomware Attack’.

Sales for antivirus software go up in the Xmas holidays probably because they plan to do a lot of online shopping. Buzzwords include....
Thanks
Attachments
white-space.png
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with
RoryOF

Re: About starting new paragraph on a new page

Post by RoryOF »

You should turn on /View /non printing characters. This will let you see if the blank line is caused by "Spacing below paragraph" on the Indents and Spacing tab of that paragraph's style definition being set non zero - the line will be blank, or if that blank line is caused by an actual blank line having been inserted (backwards P on the line). You may also need to check "Spacing above paragraph" for the subsequent paragraph.

You will find much helpful information on using Writer in
Writer for students (several languages)

/View /non printing characters is a toggle command - i.e., the same command turns on or off the display (which is non-printing anyway).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
redhalls

Post by redhalls »

I wish to explain a bit better:

These are the two paragraphs:
This is a sentence in a paragraph. Second sentence,
and some more text.

This is the second paragraph, with second sentence, and some
more text.
If the second one happens to start on a new page there will be a space
between it and the header. Screenshot:

I want to automatically remove that space
in such cases. I think there was an option for this.

And I understand your point.

Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Place cursor in the first paragraph, /Format /Paragraph : Indents and Spacing tab, and set Space below paragraph to 0. I think you may have to do this on a case by case basis.

I am old fashioned and do not use inter-paragraph blank lines; instead, I indent my paragraphs ((paragraph style: Indents and Spacing tab, set Indent: First line: Automatic).
redhalls

Post by redhalls »

It's already set to 0.

Yes I use a space between paragraphs, just like in this reply.

That space sometimes happens to be the first thing on a new page.

That's what I want to remove.

Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Place cursor in the second paragraph and check "Space Above paragraph". Place cursor in first para and type Ctrl M. Ditto second para.
redhalls

Post by redhalls »

ok I discovered the problem.

Basically I should not use double ENTER to make a new paragraph.
Instead use just one ENTER and then specify below paragraph spaces.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

redhalls wrote:ok I discovered the problem.

Basically I should not use double ENTER to make a new paragraph.
Instead use just one ENTER and then specify below paragraph spaces.
You figured it out yourself. Well done!

The style which will do this for you automatically is "Text body". This is not set as the default style for new documents, but will follow automatically as "next style" if you use a heading style.

As you will discover if you start using them, styles will save you from some work and worries. Takes a little getting used to, but the skill transfers to other wordprocessors too, should you ever want to change. Default styles vary a little between softwares, but the general idea is the same.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Basically, double ENTER makes two new paragraphs, not one. A new paragraph is started whenever ENTER is pressed..

If you wan't to insert space between all paragraphs, don't specify the space for each paragraph. Use the Text body paragraph style instead of the Default paragraph style. The Text body style is the same as the Default style except the Text body style includes space below each paragraph.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:I am old fashioned and do not use inter-paragraph blank lines; instead, I indent my paragraphs ((paragraph style: Indents and Spacing tab, set Indent: First line: Automatic).
I far prefer setting the space after paragraph to 2mm (1/12") for 11 or 12 point text. It gives a smaller gap than an empty line.
Attachments
Clipboard02.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.