Spacing

Discuss the word processor
thughes99

Spacing

Post by thughes99 »

when using the word processor part of the app, it double spaces even though i have set it to single spacing it still doubles. how do i stop this?
office 4.1.4/ windows 10
FJCC

Re: spacing

Post by FJCC »

This would be much easier to diagnose if we had a sample document. To upload a document, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just under the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Single-spacing is the default setting. You shouldn't have had to "set it to single spacing". I suspect that what you call single-spacing is something else or you may be using some strange font with built-in extra spacing. Without a sample document we have no way to diagnose the cause of the problem.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

"Double spacing" can mean a few different things.

In this forum, the most common "double space" question is about extra space between lines. The most common cause is that you use a paragraph style with extra spacing (the "Text body" style, specifically), and you press the enter/return key to manually start a new line instead of letting the wordprocessor. That style has a predefined half-line extra spacing, so you get "one and a half" spacing between paragraphs. Usually a user error (install a high voltage shocking device on your return key to unlearn those typewriter habits), but some web sources will also provide those paragraph breaks when you copy text from them and paste into your own document.

Another issue commonly referred to as "double spacing" is the insertion of double spaces after a full stop (period ending a clause), still used in some locales. This is usually a user error and frequently occurs when copying text from elsewhere, but may also be inserted by autocorrect. I usually turn off everything related to autocorrect. I prefer to correct my own mistakes. I learn from it.

I have also seen "Double spacing" referring to s p a c e d l e t t e r i n g used to emphasize a portion of text. This can be done by formatting, easily undone by Format - Default formatting.

Which one is your issue (one of the above or something else), and has it been resolved?
RayLo

Re: Spacing

Post by RayLo »

For a while now when I copy text from Open Office into my Yahoo e-mail it has increased the spacing between lines which I have put up with. Now I have started to use the ipdated Open Office 4.1.5 and have found the spacing is set at 1.5 which I cannot change. Looking in Help it directed me to Object in the Format menu, but all the options are greyed out. How do I change to single spacing?
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Spacing

Post by RoryOF »

Find out which paragraph styles are in use and on the Indents and spacing tab of those Paragraph styles, change the setting for Line Spacing as you require.

You may find this document informative:
Writer for students (several languages)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS