[Solved] 6th outline level

Discuss the word processor
Villeroy
Volunteer

[Solved] 6th outline level

Post by Villeroy »

How can I produce a 6th level?
I have chapter I.1.2.2.3 and now I need I.1.2.2.3.1 and I.1.2.2.3.2
When I demote the header (paragraph style "Heading 6") it shows I.1.2.2.3.6 for whatever reason.
When I create a new list style "Numbering 6" from scratch, that new style shows I.1.1.1.1.1
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: 6th outline level

Post by Zizi64 »

The Outline levels use the Paragraph Styles.
But you can set the structure of the levels in the Tools - Outline Numbering menu item.
You can assign the Style to the Level and adjust other propeties in this menu item.

Maybe you need create more paragraph styles if the number of the predefined ones are not enough.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There are 10 paragraph styles for the outline levels but only 5 list styles for the numbering of headlines.
So far we use
"Heading 1" with "Numbering 1"
"Heading 2" with "Numbering 2"
... until ...
"Heading 5" with "Numbering 5"
Now we want to use
the existing "Heading 6" with a new list style "Numbering 6" exactly like the other list styles in order to get sub-chapters below 5th level I.1.2.2.3
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I copied the hierarchy from the original document into the attached dummy.
How to create the intended 6 digit numbering for the last 2 paragraphs on page 4?
Attachments
level6.odt
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think you can use /Format /Styles and Formatting, 4th icon from left, to create List 6 or Numbering 6 (and more if you really want them).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Nope.
Meanwhile we wrote the chapter numbers by hand and used a copy/pasted toc with manual currections.
Attachments
level6.1.odt
(16.05 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes doing things by hand is quicker.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's impossible to apply a list style to a Heading style used in Outline Numbering (that bug was fixed in OOo 2.x). The list style Numbering 5 has been applied directly to the numbered headings, not to the heading styles. Levels 6 through 10 of Numbering 5 have been set to start at the level number instead of 1. All other levels have been set to start at 1. That's why you're seeing "6" instead of "1" for the first level 6 number.

Edit: Since each list style is multi-level, there's no need for a different list style for each level.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Bill wrote:It's impossible to apply a list style to a Heading style used in Outline Numbering (that bug was fixed in OOo 2.x).
What does this mean?
"Heading 6" somehow linked to list style "Numbering 5"
"Heading 6" somehow linked to list style "Numbering 5"
And why does it show the intended numbering on level 5 but not on level 6?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The fact that the Numbering Style is "Numbering 5" and not "Outline Numbering" is a giveaway that Heading 6 is no longer assigned to an Outline Level in Tools > Outline Numbering. Select Tools > Outline Numbering and set the Paragraph Style for Level 6 back to "Heading 6" and the Numbering Style on the Paragraph Style dialog will change from "Numbering 5" back to "Outline Numbering" and will be grayed out.

The "5" in "Numbering 5" is not a reference to a level. It's just an arbitrary number used to uniquely identify the list style.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't get it. Doesn't matter. My daughter won't use Writer for her next thesis.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There's another potential problem. While using a numbering style directly applied to a heading seems to work when using the .odt file format, the numbering style is removed when the file is saved on the .doc format and the numbering disappears.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

I do not know if I understand all things but it seems to me that it works. It seems that something there were wrong characters in the text but it is also not clear to me. I did use the first document. I did use a LibreOffice of openSUSE.

Romke
Attachments
level6rpg02.odt
Made again
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
level6rpg01.odt
It was the original document. And I use a version of openSUSE
(13.68 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thanks. I think, I see my misconception more clearly now. Nevertheless, I believe there must be something better than Writer because this document was such a horror trip.