Unable to edit index via Content.XML

Discuss the word processor
mdkb

Unable to edit index via Content.XML

Post by mdkb »

I am really not enjoying trying to make an Alphabetical index for my book in OOo.

I managed finally to figure out how to make the index but a few mistakes crept in like Capitals where I didnt want them on some words. So I tried the recommended hacks to edit them in the content.xml file and I eventually found a way to do that (it wont let me extract the odt then put back the files on my OS, for some reason I have to edit it live in the container with 7-zip, but I figured it now so that aint the problem)

the problem is that when I open it again after making changes to the capitals in the index via content.xml edits, it looks fine until I click update index and then it resets it back to what it was before I edited the xml. I have tried everything to stop it doing this but no luck.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

(and a better way of editing mistakes in indexes would be lovely for a later edition !!!! its hard work tbh right now. two days of this and I almost want to buy microsoft products.)
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64 bit.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Unable to edit index via Content.XML

Post by John_Ha »

mdkb wrote: I tried the recommended hacks to edit them in the content.xml file
Editing content.xml is never a recommended course of action (except in an emergency like a corrupted file) and is always likely to cause problems unless you fully understand XML, AOO's use of XML and exactly what you are doing.

Did you read Chapter 12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes, and Bibliographies in the Writer manual before starting? If not, you may have done things "wrong" and it may be very difficult to undo your errors.

Upload a file here (128 kb max) or on a file share site so someone can look at it.

NB OOo is no longer available. Are you using AOO? or LO? or some other fork?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mdkb

Re: Unable to edit index via Content.XML

Post by mdkb »

It's copyright info so I can't upload it right now. I am on a recent version AOO415m1(Build:9789) - Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25. but will check for an upgrade after this.

also tbh if I read every manual for every bit of software I use I wouldnt get anywhere. I did follow a bunch of directives I found on internet searches for indexing in OpneOffice but its clearly an area lacking in that specific dept so much so I already prepped an article for how I bodged it so far. Just this last fix has evaded my keen eye.

Given I can figure out most things software side pretty quickly having worked in IT for 20 years, the fact this still eludes me will drive me now to read that manual section so thanks for the tip. I may be back.

OOo is a much better name, who renamed it! anyway been away from having to look in these forums for years so my mind is still on it when it was younger software I guess. AOO sounds more like werewolves. anyway thanks for the advice on all counts. To the manual then...
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10 64 bit.