Text for novel

Discuss the word processor
loanmaker

Text for novel

Post by loanmaker »

HI. I am not very computer literate - manage the basic things.

I have starting writing novels and I use Open Office. Each chapter is saved as a text document - but it is becoming messy, At the moment I have lots of chapters and other files relating to a book.

How do I transfer the chapters into one file, how do I access the fill and how do I add to the file?
Thanks
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added explanatory words to Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Text for novel

Post by RoryOF »

You can use the Master document structure, but if you are not computer aware, that might not be the best course. I have never needed to use it in 10 years of heavy OpenOffice use.

Instead, open a new Writer document: call it something unique such as "Complete_novel.odt", Saving As type .odt. Click in the file, then use /Insert /File to insert the first chapter. At bottom of first chapter, click cursor, then /Insert /File second chapter. Repeat until all chapters are inserted. Then just edit that Complete_novel.odt file as normal.

OpenOffice can handle very large files - I have regularly edited files of over one million words without problems. Press Ctrl S to save whenever you are thinking; always work in .odt format. Always close your file, then wait a few seconds for all disk activity to cease before powering down (or closing lid on) your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

And make back up copies of this and any other important files! Preferably on a drive not permanently connected to your system.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

@ FJCC
+1

@ loanmaker
As well as following FJCC's advice you may want to look into something like Dropbox.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You might want to consider using Timestamped backup for your backups
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

robleyd wrote:You might want to consider using Timestamped backup for your backups
I always overlook that, as my routine is to manually make daily timed/dated backups while I am thinking about today's writing.
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

thank you all for taking time to assist me. I do appreciate it.
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are not very computer aware or familiar with OpenOffice, waste no time on fine formatting using OpenOffice. Write, write, write! Separate your chapters with a simple header such as "CHAPTER" and Chapter title (I suggest using Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles respectively). These will show up in navigator (F5 key), which allow you quickly move about your document. Use Comments (/Insert /Comment) to insert reminders beside your text of what needs to be done (revision, check source, rewrite etc)

Once you have a complete text, with simple organisation as I have outlined, it can then speedily be formatted.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:... waste no time on fine formatting using OpenOffice. Write, write, write!
You will get no better advice than that.

Give me (or indeed give Rory) a Notepad .TXT file of a 200 page book and I (or he) will lay it out in an hour or two at the most.

A big problem with "laying out as you write" is that it is easy to make errors which you then "correct" so it looks OK on the screen. You then edit something and the "corrected error" spills to another page and promptly shows up. The more you fiddle with it the messier it gets - you are busy "painting yourself into a corner".

If you write all the text, and then lay it out starting from the front, it can be done very quickly and without error. In fact, it is almost always quicker and easier to remove all the formatting from what you have written so as to get just flat text. Now do the layout from scratch - it will be far quicker than trying to diagnose and then fix all the problems.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
loanmaker

Post by loanmaker »

thank you for taking the time to advise
Open Office 4.14
Windows 10