All document images anchor at once ?

Discuss the word processor
arfgh

All document images anchor at once ?

Post by arfgh »

is it possible to adjust all the document images anchor to paragraph, at once ?
by default the web content drag and drop put all the images anchor as character.
What i need is to set all the images AT ONCE, anchor to paragraph.

I think cant be done using the styles... because images style is missing the anchor setting.
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: All document images anchor at once ?

Post by Zizi64 »

by default the web content drag and drop put all the images anchor as character.
Never insert pictures by drag and drop method from the internet. Download the pictures first, optimize them by a third party software (decrease the color depth, optimize the dpi and the absolute resolution/size, and convert them into a compatible file format: .png or .jpg), and finally insert them into the document by the standard method.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

yes, but drag and drop webcontent, so useful for info purposes. But the images anchor always missing and disturb there because by default they get the 'as character' anchor. And i need to be 'to paragraph' for better. Just cant undrstand why the styles 'image' is missing the anchor setting to the whole style....

Calling Mr Villeroy
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer which discusses this problem.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

The extension Pictool should be able to do that.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/de/node/18393
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

yes musikai, that extension do the job. But i want to know more about.
Why the style 'images' has the form empty on the place where the single image has the anchor setting ?
some reason ? somebody knows ?
The wanted way will be, obviously, handling that with the style.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Why the style 'images' has the form empty on the place where the single image has the anchor setting ?
In my opinion, and in my interpretation the "anchor" is not a specific property of a specific object, but it is an interaction between two different type of objects.

There are two questions:
- How to anchor an object to an another? (To a page, to a paragraph, to a character, as a character) It is a property of the object that you want to anchot to some other object.
- Where you want to achor (which page, which paragpah, which character) to? It affects the target of the anchoring.

Just a short thought experiment:

How you will set the second "property" numerically in a "style" of the picture:
"I want to anchor the picture to the seventh paragraph..." ??? - Which page?
Or:
"to the 45-th character..." ??? - Which paragraph or text line?
Or:
"to the 25-th character in the 2-nd line of the 56-th paragraph of the 19-th page..???" (Arghhhh!!!)

This would be a hassle. Therefore the "Anchor" is not part of any type of the styles.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

When I drag an image into Writer document it is Anchored to paragraph. Has something (MS Word via a .doc/.docx file?) changed your Graphics style?
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard02.gif
styles.xml extracted from the unzipped .odt file shows that graphics default to Anchor to paragraph.
styles.xml extracted from the unzipped .odt file shows the default is Anchor to paragraph
styles.xml extracted from the unzipped .odt file shows the default is Anchor to paragraph

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See post above. Try dragging an image to this .odt file.

A thought. Extract styles.xml from your file and edit the graphics style to what is in the image above. All new images will now be added Anchor to paragraph but existing images will not be changed. To change them you could edit content.xml and change all the image anchors but that would probably result in images moving because their anchors have moved.

The only supported way to change the file is manually to change each image anchor.

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer and a discussion on how anchors work in 11 and 12.

Another thought. Go File > New > Text document. Drag in an image. How is it anchored?

If it is Anchored to paragraph the style.xml file has been changed in the file you have - probably because your file has been saved by MS Word (possibly LO??) at some stage.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Attachments
test images.odt
(60.48 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

arfgh

Post by arfgh »

^^ not when drag web content, they get always achored to 'as character'
I still dont understand why the style 'images' is missing the anchor settings.... the place of the form is empty.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

arfgh wrote:^^ not when drag web content, they get always achored to 'as character'
It presumably depends on how the image is set in the web page. Drag an image from eBay and it is Anchored to paragraph.
arfgh wrote:I still dont understand why the style 'images' is missing the anchor settings.... the place of the form is empty.
You don't need to understand why - it is how it is. Just to accept it.

If you want to diagnose and resolve your problem you need to answer the questions you have been asked above. How do you expect help if you refuse to give information?

Upload a small .odt file where you have dragged a small image which gets anchored as a character.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I checked several "drag" images, both from local files and the web. All were Anchored as Paragraph.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

John_Ha, i go to repeat just what i said. When drag web content, all the images anchor is set to 'as character'. And where i said 'drag web content', never is to drag an image alone. It is drag web conent that contains image or images source into it.

Just select with the mouse some web content where your selection is covering also i mages on that url. and Drop it over writer.

And no, i dont accept the style 'images' question having the empty anchor settings. Not while some official explantion or some more deep related to that question, because clearly if the anchor settings appears there, we can adjust all the images anchor at once, and just using writer, as must be.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...i go to repeat just what i said. When drag web content, all the images anchor is set to 'as character'. And where i said 'drag web content', never is to drag an image alone. It is drag web conent that contains image or images source into it.

Just select with the mouse some web content where your selection is covering also i mages on that url. and Drop it over writer.
Please put a URL of a sample webpage here - together with a sample ODF type sample file, where you dragged the web contents to.

(Then we will refer to the SAME case.)

Some objects of web pages have similar formatting properties as the objects of a textual document have.
The drag-drop method will bring the unwanted properties into the text document.
My tip (again): Do not use the Drag-drop method.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Let me rephrase your question as: "When I drag an image from the web it is anchored To a paragraph. When I drag text and an image(s) from the web the image(s) is anchored As character."

That appears to be correct.
is it possible to adjust all the document images [which are anchored As character] to anchor [To a] paragraph, at once ?
No. You need to change them all individually. You could write a macro to do each image with two clicks instead of the three clicks it takes to do it manually.

As Zizi64 says, users are strongly advised to copy text and images separately from the web. Images should ideally be processed through an image editor before inserting. Text should ideally be pasted unformatted and formatting applied using Writer. If users do not do this they run into problems like you have run into. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on image handling.

arfgh

Post by arfgh »

the thread title is 'All document images anchor at once ?'
it is true that on certain dragging, the less, the images get anchored to paragraph, but that in the less common cases.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

John_Ha wrote:
is it possible to adjust all the document images [which are anchored As character] to anchor [To a] paragraph, at once ?
No. You need to change them all individually. You could write a macro to do each image with two clicks instead of the three clicks it takes to do it manually.
This macro already exists in form of the extension "Pictool" and can change the anchors of all images with 3 clicks.
And yes, I can imagine that it could be possible for the developers to improve the built-in functionality of the frame styles. This would require more thoughts and coding for the cases when you convert between the different anchor types so that the positions of the frames will be mantained. This isn't the case at all at the moment.
If such functionality will ever see the light then I would expect it first to happen in libreoffice. Perhaps in the year 2048 or so :)
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

yes, the question is that with the extension pictool or with some macro, we can do it at once. But i feel that we are missing the style 'images' anchor settings... I dont like that fact.