Insert TAB into text - find+replace

Discuss the word processor
morphingstar

Insert TAB into text - find+replace

Post by morphingstar »

I have a text list which includes file names in each line, copied from CALC rows.
What is in separate cells in CALC displays as continuous text in writer. Comma separated does not appear to be offered in WRITER. (TAB separated would be the real description here.)
The file type is a MID-string extract showing in the CALC table.
I want to replace the file type with a TAB+file type in WRITER to get some decent display in 2 WRITER columns.
I have tried Alt-Search. (https://astuteinternet.dl.sourceforge.n ... search.oxt)
I have tried SEARCH txt for file type txt and REPLACE with \ttxt, also \t txt.
I added xxx to file type = xxxtxt.
I have tried SEARCH xxx for file type and REPLACE xxx with \t.
I have tried SEARCH xxxtxt for file type and REPLACE with string copied from TAB entered before xxxTXT. The copy contains TAB+txt.
I have tried SEARCH txt for file type and REPLACE with string copied from TAB entered before TXT.

It appears is is impossible to enter a TAB command using Search+Replace.

The 300 lines list would look good in multi-column WRITER, keeping the sequence as desired. CALC OO/LO don't seem to offer such an easy way to create list.
It can not distribute a list into 2 columns.
Is there a solultion?
Searching for TAB seems to be the offer all over. The opposite - where is it.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
FJCC

Re: insert TAB into text - find+replace

Post by FJCC »

1. When using Find and Replace, if I put txt in the Search For box and \ttxt in the Replace With and I select Regular Expressions in the More Options section, clicking Replace All puts a tab before every instance of txt.
2. If I copy cells in Calc that span two columns and several rows, I can use Edit -> Paste Special -> Unformatted Text to paste them into Writer with the columns separated by tabs. The menu Table -> Convert -> Text To Table can then be used to make a Writer table using what was pasted from Calc.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
morphingstar

Re: Insert TAB into text - find+replace

Post by morphingstar »

tks, will follow your method.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.