Font change crashes

Discuss the word processor
HowardJ

Font change crashes

Post by HowardJ »

I am using AOO 4.1.5 in PCLinuxOS on all my computers.

If I highlight a passage and try to change the font AOO instantly crashes. It disappears completely and won't come back until I reboot.

Something similar happens in Calc except that I can terminate the process and AOO returns without a reboot

This happens on both my most up-to-date computers.
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
Hagar Delest

Re: Font change crashes

Post by Hagar Delest »

Is the font installed?
If you change the font in another application, does it work?
You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile, not sure it will help in this case however.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
HowardJ

Post by HowardJ »

It's something I've been doing for at least 15 years, and all the fonts are installed, but in fact, that's irrelevant as I don't even get as far as selecting a font.

Open new document in writer.
Typre in and highlight word indefault font
Click on arrow by font window to get drop-down list.
Poof! AOO disappears.

This has only been happening for a few days, but it happens on two computers both running PCLinuxOS. I have been updating them both regularly, so it could be something in the updates.

I have tried resetting my profile, but as you suggest, that's not it, it still crashes.

Next, I'll try reinstalling AOO I suppose.
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
HowardJ

Post by HowardJ »

I've found time to come back to this. and do a bit more testing.

1. One of my computers was still running AOO 4.1.3. So two different versions have the "change font" bug in identical versions of PCLinuxOS. I installed 4.1.5 on this computer and it crashes as soon as I click on the font selection down arrow just as 4.1.3 did.

2. I can change fonts on leafpad without any problem.

3. Since no-one else in this forum seems to have reported the problem and it's a recent problem I presume it's not a fault in AOO, but something in PCLinuxOS that AOO calls on and has been recently updated.

So, can anyone suggest what in the OS the "change font" routine is calling on that might cause this?
Last edited by HowardJ on Sat May 05, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.14
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Works OK on Xubuntu 18.04
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
HowardJ

Post by HowardJ »

Thanks Rory.

I've just discovered that if I just change the font name in the box there's no problem. It's clicking to drop down the list that causes the crash. So at least I have a workaround.
AOO 4.1.14
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should load the TestFonts extension and use it to doublecheck that all fonts are installed on your computer, just in case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS