[Solved] Spellcheck and display problems

Discuss the word processor
johncasey

[Solved] Spellcheck and display problems

Post by johncasey »

[Solved] Thank you very much!

Please assist me to explain why – and or how I can remedy:

Question 1.
After upgrading OpenOffice Writer to version 4.1.5, my documents will not re-open centered on the screen the same way I saved them (in "print layout" view" and instead in "web layout" view), and at the same spot in the documents were I last left off editing the document. These are all problems I never had before with 4.1.3

Ultimately, with every document I open, I need to re-center each document on the screen in order to properly view and continue editing it, as every document has been shifted down and to the right, thereby not being able to see the right side of the document.

As a quick alternative, I have resorted to clicking the "web layout" option under the "view" drop-down menu so it will center the document, but then I still need to scroll down many many pages to find where I last left off editing the document...

When I open the documents in "web layout" they default to the top of the document and look centered and good, but do not show the page breaks. Ultimately, I do not want to view and work on the documents in the "web layout" mode, but want to have them open in the "print layout," where I can see the document page by page...

Question 2.
In order to have proper spelling and grammar check, do I need to download dictionaries? I am not having any luck with the spellcheck program.

Regarding both questions, I have spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot all the settings I could find, but have not been able to remedy the problems. That said, if you know any answers to my questions, or know of anyone that I can contact that can help answer my questions please respond with this much contact information as possible.

Please feel free to reach me at qolpriority@gmail For the next week I will not have a phone until my new Sim chip arrives in the mail, otherwise I would offer my phone number because this is so important.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. John Casey
Last edited by johncasey on Sun May 13, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Openoffice version 4.1.5, and operating system Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Spellcheck and display problems

Post by robleyd »

Question 1:

Re opening at the last place of editing - have you entered your name in Tools |Options | OpenOffice |User Data ?

Question 2:

If your AOO is an English version it is likely it includes a dictionary. See [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice. for some further steps to resolve your problem.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Spellcheck and display problems

Post by Bill »

johncasey wrote:Ultimately, with every document I open, I need to re-center each document on the screen in order to properly view and continue editing it, as every document has been shifted down and to the right, thereby not being able to see the right side of the document.

As a quick alternative, I have resorted to clicking the "web layout" option under the "view" drop-down menu so it will center the document, but then I still need to scroll down many many pages to find where I last left off editing the document...
When a page is off-center to the right in the window, then the zoom setting is too high for the size of the window. Right-click the zoom setting on the right end of the status bar and select "Optimal" or "Page width" to center the page in the window. If the text becomes too small, then drag the right side of the window to make the window wider. The zoom setting will increase automatically as the window is resized. Don't use the zoom slider to resize the page. That will turn off the "Optimal" or "Page width" setting and the page will no longer be centered automatically.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04