Transfer multiple doc. and docx. files from MS to ODT files

Discuss the word processor
lioness53

Transfer multiple doc. and docx. files from MS to ODT files

Post by lioness53 »

I have been using Microsoft Office as a student package and will soon be required to relinquish the package as my studies are drawing to a close and I will have to lose access to MS unless I start paying for it. My university has required that I submit all documents to them on Docx and as I would like to save them for future reference I would like to trf them to odt. files so that I can access them whenever I want to. I intend to put all these "converted files" onto an external hard drive so that I know where they are as well as on my back up file drive. There are about 65 files that need to be "converted" all of differing lengths from 100kb to 3000kbs

I also have ppt files that will need to be moved over of about 38000KB

I am using Windows 7 MS Office 2016 and OO 4.1.5 and Libre Office 5.1

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
OpenOoffice 3.4 on Windows7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: treansfer multiple doc. and docx. files from MS to ODT f

Post by Villeroy »

menu:File>Wizards>Document Converter...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: treansfer multiple doc. and docx. files from MS to ODT f

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Transfer multiple doc. and docx. files from MS to ODT fi

Post by jrkrideau »

lioness53 wrote: I also have ppt files that will need to be moved over of about 38000KB

I am using Windows 7 MS Office 2016 and OO 4.1.5 and Libre Office 5.1

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
Depending on the complexity of the document and the number of different style manuals that you have used in university it can be easier to simply extract all the text, pass it through a text editor ( Wordpad?) and reformat everything in LO.

If you do not routinely use Styles in Word, I would strongly urge you to read up on them in https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... and_Styles.

AOO and LO are designed to use styles. Manual formatting is a poor second to a decent set of Styles and has a tendency to break if you ever need to convert to .doc format.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04