Mail merge envelope adressee field NBG

Discuss the word processor
jzelliott

Mail merge envelope adressee field NBG

Post by jzelliott »

I have wasted hours and hours - days, in fact - on a frustrating problem:
  • I have a printer (Samsung ML-2580N) that prints envelopes inserted into its manual feed slot
  • I have a database (Calc spreadsheet) containing all club members' details including address
  • I have followed all the instructions to print the Sender and Addressee data on envelopes (using Insert>Envelope etc)
    The merging part works but the "Sender" and "Addressee" fields print out half-on and half-off the envelope and 90 degrees out in orientation, despite the preview image on my computer screen looking perfect, with everything in its right place.
  • I have tried all combinations that i can think of in Printer Preferences in the Print Dialogue pop-up
  • I have tried altering all features in the Insert>Envelope dialogue box, including Advanced options
Nothing works!
When we sent out the last newsletter my wife and I had to address all the envelopes by hand, which makes Openoffice redundant for that task.

If any of you clever OOo experts can help, i would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks, James
PS: I note that my profile needs updating. I have the latest version of OOo and I am running it on a Windows 10 computer (also latest version)
James Elliott
OOo 4.1.5
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Mail merge envelope adressee field NBG

Post by robleyd »

In case you need it - How to update your signature
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Windows 10 has the delightful habit of installing the wrong printer driver during updates so go to the printer manufacturer's web site and download and install the correct printer driver for your printer.

2. It could be the envelope template you are using is wrong or corrupted so define your own page size for the envelopes you are using.

See Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge for more information.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 21, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jzelliott

Post by jzelliott »

Hi John

Thanks for your tips. I won't makr this topic "Solved" just yet because it isn't, and I have done most of the things you suggest, including reading "11. Using Mail Merge" many times over. I am starting to suspect that the problem is either:
  • to do with the printer, or its driver, as you suggest
  • or how OOo, Win10, and the Samsung printer interact with each other.
Many thanks,
James
James Elliott
OOo 4.1.5
Windows 10