[Solved] Unwanted underlining

Discuss the word processor
Siarach

[Solved] Unwanted underlining

Post by Siarach »

I am in the middle of a large document. I must have inadvertently changed something, but I have no idea what. I am now getting unwanted two stroke underlining under parts of the text. The lines are a combination of a thin line and a thick line, both in bold. I have tried everything I know and have failed to reverse whatever I have done. I was going to send a sample copy, but when I copy and paste, the underlining disappears. Can anyone help? Siarach
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved] [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOFFICE 4.0.1 on Windows Vista
RusselB

Re: Unwanted underlining

Post by RusselB »

Since the copy & paste routine is removing the underlining, why not just open your original document, then use File -> New to create a new empty document.
Next switch back to your original document, then copy and paste it into the empty document you created.
From what you have said, this should give you a copy of your original document in the new document, minus the unwanted underlining.
Next close the copy of the original document, (that should put you back onto the new document), then save under a new name if you want to keep the original, or the same name as the original which will make the new copy be the original.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I was going to send a sample copy, but when I copy and paste, the underlining disappears. Can anyone help?
Delete the other parts from a copy of your original document, and then upload it here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

Thanks. This is a huge file, and I am reluctant to go through these procedures. Is it the case that there is no explanation for what is happening to my file? I have been using OO for many years and I have not seen this before. Surely there must be some setting which I have inadvertently changed, and which needs to be restored to the original. I have only typed a few lines since it began to appear, so it does not involve the whole file. Allan
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It is a bit hard to diagnose based only on your description. Does it happen with new text?

Try selecting an offending part of your document and press Ctrl+M, which will return the formatting of that section to the default. Does that remove the unwanted underlines?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Highlight some underlined text
2. Format > Character > Font effects. Remove the Underlining

If the "format at the cursor location" is set to underline, any new text typed will be underlined. Be sure to select the last character as well - this resets the "format at the cursor location".

Is it an "automatic" line across the whole page from margin to margin? If so it is probably a paragraph border - see [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable

If this does not fix it upload a small example file with the problem.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Siarach

Post by Siarach »

Thank you all for your efforts. Cntrl+M did the trick. Problem solved!!