ASCII Filter Dialog Box Opening

Discuss the word processor
tomtully1954

ASCII Filter Dialog Box Opening

Post by tomtully1954 »

I was attempting to try inserting the footer and page numbering when I encountered a new problem. When I attempted to open an already saved file the dialog box (ASCII Dialog) opened requiring me to select certain settings. I clicked ok to the settings presented and the pages were many more then what was saved and unintelligible codes not associated with my typed letter. This dialog box NEVER opened before so I am not certain how to correct this error. Thank you for the speedy reply to my first post! Tom Tully
Open Office 4.1.2, Windows 10
FJCC

Re: ASCII Filter Dialog Box Opening

Post by FJCC »

That dialog means that the file is corrupted. Is this happening with all of your files or just one?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: ASCII Filter Dialog Box Opening

Post by John_Ha »

The ASCII dialogue means you are not opening a proper, structured .odt file - you are opening a flat ASCII file. Your .odt file is therefore corrupted.

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.