OpenOffice crashes when i try to save my document

Discuss the word processor
bgn

OpenOffice crashes when i try to save my document

Post by bgn »

Hello,

I am working on a text document on OpenOffice 4.0.0 Writer and when i try to save it i got the message:

"OpenOffice could not save important internal information due to insufficient free disc space in the following location:

..../Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/user/backup

You will not be able to continue working with OpenOffice without allocating more free dic space at that location"

I checked the file "backup" and i see there is just 2 documents, total 21KB. The document that i am trying to save is a new version of one of them under the same name. Even if i delete both of the items on the -backup- folder (and the folder is empty) and i try to save the document i was working on the same message pops up.

I do not want to lose the work i have done (i can not even select the text to copy somewhere else) What can i do?

Thank you very much,
OpenOffice 4.0.0
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice crashes when i try to save my document

Post by RoryOF »

Deleted files may be stored in the Recycle bin, so the space is not freed. At operating system level (I.e., outside of OpenOffice) Right click on the recycle bin and choose the option that says words to the effect "empty the bin" then try saving again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bgn

Post by bgn »

RoryOF wrote:Deleted files may be stored in the Recycle bin, so the space is not freed. At operating system level (I.e., outside of OpenOffice) Right click on the recycle bin and choose the option that says words to the effect "empty the bin" then try saving again.
Thank you RoryOF for your help. I just did what you suggested me, i have deleted both files and the i have empty the trash can and then i tried to save my text doc again and i still get the same message. Now i am afraid that i have actually lost both documents
OpenOffice 4.0.0
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may not have permissions to Save in your target destination for whatever reason. If the problem is not one of actual shortage of space on your computer, you should always be able to save on your desktop.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bgn

Post by bgn »

Now i get the following error if i try to save it on the desktop:

"Error saving the document title **** the document does not exist "
OpenOffice 4.0.0
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Check to see how much free disk space you have. You should about 10% free, so if you have a 250 GB disk you should have about 25 GB free.

How much do you have free?

If you download CCleaner it will analyse your disk for you and find junk files you can delete.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bgn

Post by bgn »

Hello John_Ha and thank you very much for your answer.

That might be the problem actually. To avoid using my disk space i tried saving it on my external hard disc but it doesn't work either as i get the same message:

"OpenOffice could not save important internal information due to insufficient free disc space in the following location:

You will not be able to continue working with OpenOffice without allocating more free dic space at that location"

It sounds kinda weird to me that you need to have certain free disk space in order to save a 2 pages text document on your external hard disk...
OpenOffice 4.0.0
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bgn wrote:"OpenOffice could not save important internal information due to insufficient free disc space in the following location:

It sounds kinda weird to me that you need to have certain free disk space in order to save a 2 pages text document on your external hard disk...
The free disk space is needed for the "important internal information" (possibly the backup file) which goes on the internal hard drive.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Read the error message you are getting. It is telling you EXACTLY what the problem is

It is completely pointless suggesting anything until you have freed up disk space.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.