Copy & paste text from websites adds paragraph functions

Discuss the word processor
videobruce

Copy & paste text from websites adds paragraph functions

Post by videobruce »

That probably didn't make much sense. I save my documents using the ".doc" extension running Win7 Pro if that matters.

When I do a C&P of text from some websites (forums such as this for example), the text gets extra formatting shown as the paragraph sign after many of the lines, separate from the usual 'Enter' symbol when I use "View/Non-printing characters" to show the formatting.
What also happens is additional empty line is created even thou I set the spacing to zero under "Format/Paragraph".

If I place the cursor before the paragraph symbol and delete. When I hit 'Enter' to start a new line, that extra line is created. This is not on every line. If you look at the attachment (assuming it will show the same on your end). If not look at the attachment.
Zidoo X10 flash issues.doc
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Attachments
OO issue with C&P text.png
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
videobruce

Re: Copy & paste text from websites adds paragraph functions

Post by videobruce »

I just looked at the .doc I attached, but the formatting didn't seem to 'stick'. I see the option to show hidden paragraphs is now grayed out, for whatever reason. :?:
Creating my own document there isn't that problem and again, it's not all lines in the C&P as that png showed.
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

They are line returns (you can enter them by SHIFT+ENTER) as opposed to End of paragraph (entered by ENTER).
Clipboard02.png
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

As a relatively new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 21, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

I understood the symbols, but the question remains I can't get rid of those paragraphs that add a unwanted extra line below them.

Frankly, I have been using OO for years and never encountered this issue before. :(
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the blank line is coming after a Paragraph mark (the backwards P) and has no indicator at the end of it, this is being caused by a setting in that Paragraph style's definitions. Open the paragraph style definition and on the Indents and Spacing tab change "Spacing above paragraph" and "Spacing below paragraph" to 0 (zero).

Best to do this using /Format /Styles and Formatting (press F1 for help)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Open the paragraph style definition and on the Indents and Spacing tab change "Spacing above paragraph" and "Spacing below paragraph" to 0 (zero).
I already have, but it didn't matter.
Some 'hidden' formatting code must be buried in somewhere off these websites causing this. It's really annoying, I can't seem to get rid of it.

Don't blast me, but this is using my default .doc file template, Would that make any difference?
Last edited by videobruce on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Possibly - I never use .doc format. Select all the text in question and press Ctrl M; some formatting may be applied as "direct formatting", which overrides the Style definitions. Ctrl M will remove any such direct formatting and revert to the underlying style.

It is often best when pasting from Internet to use /Edit /Paste Special : unformatted text and reformat the text as you require.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Interesting. Much food for thought. :super:
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

videobruce wrote:Don't blast me, but this is using my default .doc file template, Would that make any difference?
As above, see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.