Saved .doc / computer turned off improperly / coded .doc

Discuss the word processor

Saved .doc / computer turned off improperly / coded .doc

Postby t_cb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello community,

I have saved a very important document I have been working on for months and the computer has been turned off improperly. Today I tried opening it and it put me through a set up kind of procedure, where I had to choose the ASCII Filter to access the .doc.

It says it is protected, so I also need to choose if I want to open it as a protected document or as a work copy. When I open it, either way, the document is fully coded with only #'s all the way. I am a bit desperate that I could have lost all this information. How do I restore this .doc? Is it possible? I would appreciate if someone could help me out here.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Tiago da Cruz Bartholo
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10 Home
t_cb

Re: Saved .doc / computer turned off improperly / coded .doc

Postby John_Ha » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:49 pm

If you see #### throughout the document it has no user data - see Re: [Hint] How did I fix my ODT file - full of #####

If you do not have a backup your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for

a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.

c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.

Second, see [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt - apart from the other imperatives, it would have made recovering the file much easier.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.3.5.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer