Losing last line of text

Discuss the word processor
KuroOniyuri

Losing last line of text

Post by KuroOniyuri »

So I am a college student and I use OpenOffice Writer to do my assignments for my classes. I usually save my work as a .doc file so that my instructors can open them because most of them do not use OpenOffice. I have noticed this strange problem that when a computer with Microsoft Word open the files, the last line of text will be missing, but when I open the same file on my computer with OpenOffice it is still there. Also if I add the missing line back in while still in Word and save it, and then open it again on my computer the line will be there twice.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, knows of a reason why it would do this, or a way to stop it. I do know that adding a few blank lines at the end keeps it from losing the text I want to keep, but there must be another solution. Any help would be must appreciated.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Losing last line of text

Post by FJCC »

The same problem was reported here, I think. Can you post a sample document to the forum. Click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab under the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
KuroOniyuri

Post by KuroOniyuri »

FJCC wrote:The same problem was reported here, I think. Can you post a sample document to the forum. Click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab under the box where you type a response.
It does seem to be a similar issue. Here are two example documents where the problem occurred. the Review doc there are supposed to be 14 answers in the What if there are supposed to be 10. When my instructor looked at them she said the last question for each was missing:
Attachments
Ch 6- What if.doc
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Ch 6- Review.doc
(13 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

This seems to be a bug in MS Windows as the text is in the .doc file.
KuroOniyuri wrote:I usually save my work as a .doc file so that my instructors can open them because most of them do not use OpenOffice.
All versions of MS Word later than 2007 can read and write .odt files.

The best way to guarantee your work is not changed is to send a PDF file.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

KuroOniyuri wrote:So I am a college student and I use OpenOffice Writer to do my assignments for my classes. I usually save my work as a .doc file so that my instructors can open them because most of them do not use OpenOffice.
It is much better to always work in .odt format. Every time you save a document in .doc format or open it again the file is translated. The translators are very good but not perfect. Small errors can build up that can cause serious problems up to and including the loss of the file. Recovering a Word file can be very difficult if not impossible. If you do have a problem with a .odt file it seems to be much easier to recover the file.

It is best to only convert to .doc format when you are ready to send the file.

And as John_Ha says Word should be able to read a .odt file.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04