Locked file, read only, thesis to prof.

Discuss the word processor
MARTIN_ABC

Locked file, read only, thesis to prof.

Post by MARTIN_ABC »

Hello everyone!

I am writing a document to send to my professor.

The problem is, that when she receives the document she cannot edit it. It is looked, read-only.

I have seen some solutions on this forum related to deleting a hidden lock file.

However, it is not locked on my computer, only when she receives it. She is in another country and is not very proficient with computers, explaining to her that she has to find and delete this file is not a convenient a solution.

Is there ANYTHING I can do on my part, such that it is not locked when she tries to open it on her computer???

Thank you for your help,
Martin
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on macOS Sierra
robleyd

Re: LOCKED FILE, READ ONLY, thesis to prof.

Post by robleyd »

Presumably you are emailing the document to your professor? If this is the case, there is nothing you can do to change the behaviour of the document at his/her end. The email software will generally allow the attached document to only be opened in read only mode directly from the email. See https://www.quora.com/Why-do-email-atta ... ly?share=1

Suggest to your professor that s/he save the attachment from the email to elsewhere on the computer; the document should then be editable.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Make sure that she has saved the file to the hard drive. It may help.

Do you know if she is also using AOO/LO?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
MARTIN_ABC

Post by MARTIN_ABC »

Thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, it is by email, specifically Gmail.

I do not know whether she is using AOO or LO.

I do not know if she is saving it or open it, I will let you know if it worked by saving it to the hard drive.

I expect it will take awhile to get the response meanwhile if anyone else has similar alternative solutions I am grateful.

Thank you,
Martin
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on macOS Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The first thing is to ensure that the file is saved to the local hard disk, not attempted to be edited attached to the email. Even if that were possible, all edits would be lost. No point in trying any other fixes until we know if saving to the local hard disk has worked.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS