Some hyperlinks work, some don't, in smashwords

Discuss the word processor
posaune

Some hyperlinks work, some don't, in smashwords

Post by posaune »

Hi, I hope someone has an answer.

I've created bookmarks at each chapter heading, written out the table of contents as instructed in the Smashwords style guide, and linked each TOC item to its matching bookmark.

When I upload to smashwords, everything looks beautiful, all TOC items are underlined. Up to chapter 7, everything works perfectly. Chapter 8 to the end, they do nothing. To my knowledge, I've linked them all the same exact way and they all work in the .doc which I converted the Open Office file to.

None of them work in the actual smashwords online edition, but then Mark Coker's own TOC doesn't click through to anything for me, so I don't know if there's a problem with my laptop on that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Some hyperlinks work, some don't, in smashwords

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why do you link the headings manually?
Use styles and then create the ToC automatically, see: [Solved] Make Table of Contents hyperlink?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
posaune

Post by posaune »

I did it manually as per Smashwords instructions for how to make it work in their 'meat grinder.' They're very specific about not using the automated system, which I do use in any other situation.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, in this case, I guess we need to see the file. Can you upload an extract by removing the text and keeping the headings only so that it is smaller than 128kBi? Else upload it on a 3rd party site.
Beware that exporting in an external format like .doc can lead to glitches. Isn't .odt a possibility for smashwords ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10