[Solved] Update Links When Loading (always) is not working

Discuss the word processor
hogwaump

[Solved] Update Links When Loading (always) is not working

Post by hogwaump »

Since installing 4.1.5, this feature has stopped working for me. Again. In Options->OpenOffice Writer->General->Update Links When Loading, I have ticked the radio-button for Always. Still OO prompts me whenever I load a master ODT file, which consists of sections linked to separate ODT-file chapters. I'm sure somebody once told me how to fix this, but I can't find it anywhere in the forums. I recall the solution having something to do with changing a setting that would reduce some level of security within OO, but that's all I can remember. Can anyone tell me how to kill this prompting? It's a genuine time-waster for me.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OO 4.1.5 on Windows 7, 64bit
:knock: Hogwaump, Frumious Borogove in Chief at Bandersnatch, Inc., in charge of Wabe Control Systems. Never once outgrabe at all . . .
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Update Links When Loading (always) is not working.

Post by John_Ha »

Can you do some simple testing.

1. Create a new Master document.
2. Create a new sub-document and call it with the master.

Does the Update Links work for the new files?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer your question, but there are OO security settings in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Security. Looking at these might refresh your memory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hogwaump

Post by hogwaump »

John_Ha wrote:Can you do some simple testing. . . . Does the Update Links work for the new files?
Nope, that was my first thought as well.
:knock: Hogwaump, Frumious Borogove in Chief at Bandersnatch, Inc., in charge of Wabe Control Systems. Never once outgrabe at all . . .
hogwaump

Post by hogwaump »

RoryOF wrote:I can't answer your question, but there are OO security settings in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Security. Looking at these might refresh your memory.
I've looked all through that section and many others so many times that I may need new glasses now. No luck at all. It was something seemingly unrelated, on the order of letting Java do something that's turned off by default? Something weird like that.
hogwaump

Post by hogwaump »

I found the setting I was looking for, in Options->OpenOffice->Security, in fact, but I had failed to open the dialog for Macro Security. It must be set to low to get files containing sections linked to other ODT text files to open and reload without any prompting. Only safe if one never opens files created by other people.