Trying to add video to a manual - Get Java error

Discuss the word processor
pooky2483

Trying to add video to a manual - Get Java error

Post by pooky2483 »

I'm trying to create a manual for Kdenlive and there's some video I need to add but I am getting an error informing me that there's some problem with Java.

I have looked at the settings and found a settings option for Java and as far as I can figure, it's OK!

What am I missing?
Version: 7.2.5.2 / Win10 x64 / 256Gb RAM
Printers: EPSON ET-3600 / EPSON ET-4600

My PROFILE may be online but I may NOT be
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Trying to add video to a manual - Get Java error

Post by Villeroy »

In the list of installed Java runtimes, there is a hardly visble radio button in front of the word "Oracle". Are you sure that it is on?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pooky2483

Post by pooky2483 »

Not entirely sure, I can't get rid of the blue 'selected' bar, and when I click on the radio button, I can't see it change!
 Edit:  I unselect 'use java (the square radio button) and I can see the radio button is selected. 

Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Insert>media>Video... lets me insert a local video file into a Writer document. The video is embedded when I save it as odt (document size is close to video size).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Are you using OO or LibO, Villeroy? I found that OO's support for video (and media generally) is doubtful - I think it needs .gstreamer0.10, and current *buntus use gstreamer1.0; I have never been able to get a satisfactory installation of 0.10 on current *buntus. On the occasions I use a video or media file, I either link to it and let the system video/sound player handle it, or I use Impress on LibO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

AOO crashes. I hardly use AOO on Ubuntu Linux because it has become unusable for me (not because of media). I would prefer AOO over LO but AOO is falling apart.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There was a report at the time of Ubuntu 16.04 release that OO was unstable on Ubuntu, but all right on Xubuntu 16.04. I use Xubuntu through all its updates (currently 16.04.3) and never found any stability problem. I never enquired if the Ubuntu 16.04 stability was fixed - I presume so, but I never checked,
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It is obvious that Unity and AOO don't understand each other. I don't like Xubuntu. Used it for some years but I really prefer the Unity desktop.
pooky2483

Post by pooky2483 »

Villeroy wrote:menu:Insert>media>Video... lets me insert a local video file into a Writer document. The video is embedded when I save it as odt (document size is close to video size).
That's not such a bad idea, I think I might download the video's, then embed them locally.

Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

pooky2483 wrote:
Villeroy wrote:menu:Insert>media>Video... lets me insert a local video file into a Writer document. The video is embedded when I save it as odt (document size is close to video size).
That's not such a bad idea, I think I might download the video's, then embed them locally.
Great.

OFF TOPIC:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127710
RoryOF wrote:There was a report at the time of Ubuntu 16.04 release that OO was unstable on Ubuntu, but all right on Xubuntu 16.04. I use Xubuntu through all its updates (currently 16.04.3) and never found any stability problem. I never enquired if the Ubuntu 16.04 stability was fixed - I presume so, but I never checked,
Here is one that crashes with AOO on Unity and WindowMaker (a very old minimalistic window manager). The document has a simple table control linked to a database. Either it crashes when you load it or when you scroll it. If it does not crash it freezes. Unbearable when doing serious work with database forms.
Attachments
issue.odt
form crashing with AOO on Linux
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Last edited by Villeroy on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote: OFF TOPIC:
RoryOF wrote:There was a report at the time of Ubuntu 16.04 release that OO was unstable on Ubuntu, but all right on Xubuntu 16.04. I use Xubuntu through all its updates (currently 16.04.3) and never found any stability problem. I never enquired if the Ubuntu 16.04 stability was fixed - I presume so, but I never checked,
Here is one that crashes with AOO on Unity and WindowMaker (a very old minimalistic window manager). The document has a simple table control linked to a database. Either it crashes when you load it or when you scroll it. If it does not crash it freezes. Unbearable when doing serious work with database forms.
Seems OK on my Xubuntu 16.04.3

Going offline now.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for testing.
pooky2483

Post by pooky2483 »

I've managed to insert the first four video's but #3 & #4 are showing just a black thumbnail, unlike video's #1 & #2 are showing a still from their respective video's.
Is there any way I can force a still or is it a case of 'tough luck'.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

pooky2483 wrote:I'm trying to create a manual for Kdenlive and there's some video I need to add but I am getting an error informing me that there's some problem with Java.

I have looked at the settings and found a settings option for Java and as far as I can figure, it's OK!

What am I missing?
Java is not JavaScript. The error message refers to a problem with JavaScript in your browser, not Java in OpenOffice.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
pooky2483

Post by pooky2483 »

Bill wrote:Java is not JavaScript. The error message refers to a problem with JavaScript in your browser, not Java in OpenOffice.
I think the reason for that is, I've got Java disabled in my browser and only allow it when I need to