Toolbar problems

Discuss the word processor
CatBookWriter

Toolbar problems

Post by CatBookWriter »

I spent a long time customizing toolbars because some of them disappeared automatically, including the frame toolbar. To solve that problem, I added the wrap and align vbuttons to the formatting toolbar. All of the wrap buttons on that one are grayed out so I still have to use the default frame toolbar that only appears when an object is selected. This is definitely not what I wanted.

Four the stacking order buttons are clickable on my edited formatting toolbar, however, and I used the "back one" button with the picture selected. Unfortunately the "to background" and "to foreground" bottons on that toolbar are always grayed out. The text did not move over the pictre when I tried to drag it. Then I used the "wrap through" button on the frame toolbar. All that did was hide one line of text behind the picture. The "wrap contour on" button is grayed out on both toolbars.

It gets worse. When I selected a page background color, it did not make the whole page blue. Only a portion under the picture changed color. when I used the Page Settings>lBackgrounds dialog - and that was with my cursor at the top of the page.

I love Open Office Writer for text documents, but when graphics are inserted, it is very disappointing.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Toolbar problems

Post by John_Ha »

CatBookWriter wrote:It gets worse. When I selected a page background color, it did not make the whole page blue. Only a portion under the picture changed color. when I used the Page Settings>lBackgrounds dialog - and that was with my cursor at the top of the page.
That is correct. Only the area within the page margins is coloured.

If you want to colour the entire page then print on coloured paper; or insert an image wrapped In Background? Wrap Through? If you anchor the image to text in the header or footer (or to the page?) it will appear on every page as you have edited the Page Style.
CatBookWriter wrote:when graphics are inserted, it is very disappointing.
Read Chapter 8 - Working with Graphics in the Writer Manual and see [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

For toolbars see Chapter 2 - Setting up Writer and Chapter 16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.