Loading styles

Discuss the word processor
lemonphenomenon

Loading styles

Post by lemonphenomenon »

I've been trying to load styles from one document to another without success.

Firstly I tried loading styles from a document as described in the Writer Guide. Once I had selected the document to copy the style from, the styles and formatting box of the other file showed, without of course the style I wanted to load. The donor document was indeed in the style I wanted, as that style was named in the menu bar.

I noticed this in a topic:
While (styles) aren't automatically available in other documents, you can still access them, either by loading the styles from a saved document, or by copy/paste of text between documents. If the pasted text uses a style that is NOT already defined in the target document, the style will be copied from the source document so the text doesn't lose its formatting.
but it didn't work for me; the text was pasted without the original document's format.

I'd be grateful for any help.
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Mac OS 10.13.6
Hagar Delest

Re: loading styles

Post by Hagar Delest »

You should open the receiving file first and then with the From file button in the load style dialog, select the donor file and select the styles.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lemonphenomenon

Post by lemonphenomenon »

Thanks for your reply. I've tried again but without success. The problem happens once I've done as you described, ie from the receiving file's Styles and Formatting dialog I have highlighted the donor file and pressed 'open'. At that point the only Styles and Formatting dialog on the screen is that of the receiving file.
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Mac OS 10.13.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

lemonphenomenon,

Please upload two sample document here: a donor one and a target one.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Load Styles loads all styles in the donor document that don't already exist in the target document. If styles in the donor and target documents have the same name, the style won't be loaded into the target unless the "Overwrite" option is checked on the Load Styles dialog. The user can't select which styles to load using Load Styles.

To select and load specific styles, use File > Templates > Organize to open the Template Management dialog where the list of styles in two different documents can be displayed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bill wrote:To select and load specific styles, use File > Templates > Organize to open the Template Management dialog where the list of styles in two different documents can be displayed.
Good catch.
Have been to lazy to go through the whole process. I didn't remember that the list was available through the Template dialog.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10