[Solved] Crashes when try to SAVE AS

Discuss the word processor
raeka

[Solved] Crashes when try to SAVE AS

Post by raeka »

Every time I try to create a document and then "save as" and browse to where I want to save, it crashes and then starts recovery.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Crashes when try to SAVE AS

Post by Zizi64 »

and then "save as"
What fileformat are you using?

and browse to where I want to save
Please give us some details: where you want to save? (removable device, LAN drive, cloud, or simply onto the local HDD?)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile. Shutdown OpenOffice and then open any folder. In the address bar near the top enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4\
That should take you to a folder containing a folder called user. Rename that to user_old and restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Is the Save As process stable now?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
raeka

Post by raeka »

FJCC wrote:Try resetting your user profile. Shutdown OpenOffice and then open any folder. In the address bar near the top enter
%appdata%\openoffice\4\
That should take you to a folder containing a folder called user. Rename that to user_old and restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. Is the Save As process stable now?
I tried that. It worked once but then crashed again.
Goes into the recovery process.
raeka

Post by raeka »

Zizi64 wrote:
and then "save as"
What fileformat are you using?

and browse to where I want to save
Please give us some details: where you want to save? (removable device, LAN drive, cloud, or simply onto the local HDD?)
I'm on a desktop and trying to save to my hard drive, to one of my document folder locations. I save in format which comes up first on list: extension is .odt
raeka

Post by raeka »

To give additional info, I downloaded this program when MS Word, etc. started crashing after my latest windows 10 update. Recently however my Word started working properly again but Apache doesn't.
(. I read on youtube that I could go to Add ins on word and uncheck the Abby reader to stop that problem but didn't need to and its not checked anyway.) Not sure where Addins are in OpenOffice or whether than could be a problem.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I see you are running Windows 10.

Look at your Windows Defender settings - you need to tell Defender to allow AOO to write to your disk.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
raeka

Post by raeka »

You wrote: "I see you are running Windows 10.
Look at your Windows Defender settings - you need to tell Defender to allow AOO to write to your disk."

I have same problem. I can't save or save as. The writer crashes if I try either. But I didn't see where I can change Defender settings.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Google Windows Defender.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

I have the same issues, but Windows Defender isn't running and resetting the user profile hasn't worked. It seems to be coupled with frequent "Bad Allocation" errors too.

The problem literally only started today, and there hasn't been a Windows Update. I can't export a Writer document for work into MSOffice format.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

Afraid I've tried that trouble-shooting guide and it doesn't seem to work:
powershell.png
This is probably because, as I mentioned, Windows Defender isn't installed, so shouldn't be messing with AOO:
defender.png
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nmhcbwlu wrote:Afraid I've tried that trouble-shooting guide and it doesn't seem to work:
This is probably because, as I mentioned, Windows Defender isn't installed, so shouldn't be messing with AOO:
That is probably true, namely because Windows Defender is disabled the command fails. But why are you doing it if you have disabled Windows Defender?

As a matter of fact, Windows Defender is installed. It is just you are not allowing it to run.

Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

I ran it because that was the only suggestion. Thought I'd try.

If it's not allowed to run, then Controlled Folder Access should not be affecting anything.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nmhcbwlu wrote:If it's not allowed to run, then Controlled Folder Access should not be affecting anything.
Exactly!
Nmhcbwlu wrote:It seems to be coupled with frequent "Bad Allocation" errors too.

The problem literally only started today, and there hasn't been a Windows Update. I can't export a Writer document for work into MSOffice format.
1. Can you save as a .odt file?
2. Please describe exactly what happens when you go File > Save As ...

Also see Re: Bad allocation ; etc. and disable Support Assistive Technology Tools.

Another thought. Tools >Options > OpenOffice > General. Tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. Does that work?
Nmhcbwlu wrote:The problem literally only started today, and there hasn't been a Windows Update.
I am not sure that a user can be certain about that.

jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

This is a rather desperate move but you might want to burn a copy of Portable LibreOfficeand see what happens. It might help use determine if the problem is likely the AOO installation itself or an interaction between Win10 and AOO/LibreOffice.
Last edited by jrkrideau on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

Ok, I've got it working. Basically, I reinstalled AOO, created a new document containing a single sentence that I saved as an .odt file, then tried exporting it as a .doc file, which succeeded. However, the issue continued for the document I had problems with originally, which suggested the problem was with the document content. The document contains images, some of which changed their position/alignment every time I opened it. I deleted these misbehaving images only and the export to .doc format succeeded. For me at least this seems to have solved the problem.

Thank you both for your help. I've included answers to your questions/suggestions in case it's helpful to anyone else trying to trouble-shoot this issue.
1. Can you save as a .odt file?
2. Please describe exactly what happens when you go File > Save As ...
1) Yes
2) Save As -> .doc format -> AOO displays Export bar, fills it to about the 3/4 mark, then displays "Bad Allocation" dialogue and crashes.
Another thought. Tools >Options > OpenOffice > General. Tick Use OpenOffice dialogue boxes. Does that work?
Attempted, didn't work.
This is a rather desperate move but you might want to burn a copy of [url=https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions]Portable LibreOffice and see what happens. It might help use determine if the problem is likely the AOO installation itself or an interaction between Win10 and AOO/LibreOffice.
Started this step, then apparently sorted the issue.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Good to see it is solved. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

IT would be interesting to see the original file if you still have it to diagnose the precise problem. If the file has confidential material in it, you can obscure the contents without affecting the structure too much (lines will spill differently because different characters have different widths) by changing every lower case alphabetic character to an " x ". Select all the text (Ctrl+A) and:

Edit > Find and Replace
Find box [a-z]
Replace box x
Options: Match case: YES, Regular expressions: YES
click Replace all

Repeat the above using [A-Z] and X to scramble the upper case letters, and [0-9] and 0 to scramble numeric data.

The limit here is 128kB, or use a fileshare site like mediafire for larger files.
Nmhcbwlu wrote:The document contains images, some of which changed their position/alignment every time I opened it.
See 11. Learn about Anchor and Wrap options in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for an explanation of what was happening. This may be the root cause of the problem of the export to .doc - AOO's inability to layout the document because of the moving images.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

To second John_Ha's point, it is a very good idea to always save in native odt format. Every time one saves or loads a docx file there is a chance of small errors creeping in. Over time this can crash a file. Also, with an odt file there is a chance that the file can be repaired. Word, meh.

If you must have a Word file only save the finished product to .docx.
Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

The file was originally created in Word as a.doc file. On receiving it, I saved it in native .odt format to work on it in AOO. There was no problem with this; the problem only arose when I tried to export it back to Word.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Issue 82500 - Writer hangs/loops at end of document or on export / formatting process which seems similar: Writer has problems with layout (on a specific file) and hangs when saving as a .doc file.

Also, did you Anchor an image TO a page? .doc files do not handle Anchor TO an page.

Nmhcbwlu

Post by Nmhcbwlu »

It's possible that was the problem with the misbehaving images (though I can't check this). The images behaving properly were all in line with text.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I am now convinced it was AOO having a problem laying out the document and attempting to save the layout in .doc format. It was probably because of image insertion and probably due to Anchor TO the page.

It would help a lot if you had the original .odt file and you could send it to me so I could examine it. I have sent you my email ID.