Cant widen comments side field

Discuss the word processor
Misha Afanasiev

Cant widen comments side field

Post by Misha Afanasiev »

I use comments feature in OpenOffice Writer a lot. The problem is that the field for comments is very narrow. Uts OK if comment as only a few words long, but it becomes messy if comment is big. Even more so, if there are a lot of comments nearby.
I believe that program preferences should have a place where i can easily set the width for that field, but somehow I cant find those preferences.
This isnt something I need for just one comment or temporary. Thats a stable demand for working convenience. If there is no "easy" solution, I'm even ok with some king of patch to stricktly widen that field.

Thanks a lot in advance/
Last edited by Misha Afanasiev on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The installed version is OpenOffice 4.1.2.
Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Cant widen comments side field

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I can ascertain, the width for Comments is set to 5 cm /(2 inches for those living in less enlightened countries). There is no setting I know of to alter this.

For information, when I last investigated, Comments were limited to about 16,000 characters, but with respect, I think that any Comment of more than a hundred or so characters misunderstands the intention of the Comment facility.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Misha Afanasiev

Post by Misha Afanasiev »

I cant determine what width does it have cause it scales if you zoom in or out. For me its about 3cm with 100% zoom.
The accurate width is 24 symbols with default font (Segoe UI, size 10).

Still hope that somebody will have the answer. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one in the world who a lot of lsrge(200-300 symbols) comments.
The installed version is OpenOffice 4.1.2.
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My measurement was relative to the dimensions of the page if the Comment was printable in its on-page position. Of course its on-screen size will vary with the Zoom of the document. Times New Roman will give more text in the width than most normal fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS