Table formatting

Discuss the word processor
mrmima

Table formatting

Post by mrmima »

I need first column of the table to be 5cm width and next 20, 0.5cm width.
How can I do that?
I always have formatting as it's on the screenshot

Thank you in advance
Attachments
TableFormat.jpg
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Table formatting

Post by robleyd »

If you have created a table with the relevant number of columns, you can, with the cursor in the table, go to Table | Table Properties and select the Columns tab; there you can define column widths. To specify individual column widths you will have to select Manual under the Table tab.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
mrmima

Post by mrmima »

I did that. But as you can see on ss, that's the result I get.
I put manually first column 5cm and then all the other 0.5 but the final result is as on ss.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Your screen capture doesn't tell us much about your actual document - rather like taking a picture of your car to the mechanic when the car doesn't run properly.

Can you upload a Writer document that demonstrates the problem? [Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've only had time for a little play with this and reached no method of handling the problem automatically. If I really. really wanted to do this, to get an immediate result so I could proceed with my project I'd make a sample table of (say) three columns (5 cm, 0.5cm, 0.5cm) and save the file; I'd then open the file with an archive and hand edit the table structure as defined in the XML code (content.xml) to extend the columns to the size and number I required. Whether this adjustment will hold through a Save/re-open operation I cannot say. I have not tried this method

Another method might be to define a table with 30 0.5cm columns, then amalgamate the first ten columns to give the 5 cm column required. Once again, I have not tried this method.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Autoadjust of column widths can be an annoying feature at times.

Suggested solution:
  • Table properties, the Table tab: check that Adjustment is not set to Automatic
    - Columns tab, tick Adjust table width
    Set widths for each column. There should be no interference from the autoadjust feature any more.
Attachments
tableadjust.odt
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 68 times