.docx file opened in Writer (OO 4.1.5) doesn't see symbols

Discuss the word processor
bddyy!

.docx file opened in Writer (OO 4.1.5) doesn't see symbols

Post by bddyy! »

Hello! I recently found an issue with my Open Office Writer in that it does not show certain math symbols when a .docx is opened. Here is a link to the issue:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ajl84TU65kcE43WMzwpEbkw3Bc-m]

Both programs opened the same document and as you can see in the example provided, the writer program is missing the sub-scripted terms as well as math symbols. The right triangle in the Microsoft Word .docx is also missing in the document. The issue seems to only happen on this particular document.I have tried looking in the bug search engine for the issue but I didn't find the issue after putting in terms that I thought would bring it up. I am running on win 10, 64 bit, Comodo Internet Security Premium 10, with Open Office 4.1.5.The problem shows up on all attempts. I don't know what could be the problem. But, as a aspiring software developer myself, I will give the people working with me any help from me that I can give in finding the solution to this problem.
Thank you for your time!
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired error in URL syntax [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.5, Win10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: .docx file opened in Writer (OO 4.1.5) doesn't see symbo

Post by Zizi64 »

Both programs opened the same document and as you can see in the example provided, the writer program is missing the sub-scripted terms as well as math symbols.
- It happened on same computer?
- It seems as a Font issue: Missing Font, incompatible Font, or a too old version of a Font. You can check the missing fonts in a specific documents with an excellent extension named TestFonts.
- Have you tried the .docx file with LibreOffice? (The LO has a littlebit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats.)
- Can you upload a real docx and/or .odt type sample file here? (delete all of irrelevant parts from a copy of the original document)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: .docx file opened in Writer (OO 4.1.5) doesn't see symbo

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for possible reasons, and why you should always work in and save files as .odt.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.