[Solved] Anchoring linked text boxes

Discuss the word processor
celticwt

[Solved] Anchoring linked text boxes

Post by celticwt »

I am doing an annotated text - so I have a linked sidebar (text box) running down each page. I very carefully anchor the text boxes to the page and fix their positions, but EVERY TIME I re-open the file they have moved.

They always move in the same way. The box from the second page has migrated to the first, and the box from the 6th page has migrated to the 5th

When I try to re-position them, they bounce back several times before allowing me to put them where I want.

How can I stop this from happening? It's very frustrating!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows 8
Hagar Delest

Re: Anchoring linked text boxes

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you save in native ODF (.odt)? Saving in an external format may lead to such glitches.
Try also to anchor to paragraph, it may be more robust.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
celticwt

Post by celticwt »

I am saving as *.doc, (because I will eventually be needing to use doc format) - I will try saving as *.odt

I have trouble anchoring to paragraph also - it anchors to the first paragraph in the document instead of the one on the page (where I have put my cursor) When I re-open, all the anchoring has been reset to character.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We recommend always to work in the native OpenOffice formats and when editing is finished then to save out into a target foreign format. Be aware that, because OpenOffice is not an MS Office clone, there can be formatting differences. Unless the finished file is to be edited by another application, it may be safest to /File /Export as PDF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
celticwt

Post by celticwt »

Thanks for your help./ The Open Office is on my home computer - so I can't try anything til later. I expected a certain amount of reformatting once I switch to doc - but it's helpful to know that I should work in odt until I am done. I didn't know that. I don't mind reformatting once - but every time was getting a bit much!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes it is easiest to handle annotated text by using a two column table, with each paragraph of the main text in a lefthand cell, and the annotation or commentary in the matching right hand cell. If the table division lines are deemed too obtrusive, they can be set to be very light or even non-existent. Spacing between the text and commentary can be increased by adding a narrow blank column into the table between the text column and the commentary column.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
celticwt

Post by celticwt »

Saving the document as *odt solved the problem. Thanks!