Letters squishing up and spreading out randomly

Discuss the word processor
Hesperus

Letters squishing up and spreading out randomly

Post by Hesperus »

Hi everyone,

I'm a new use of OpenOffice and am trying to write a very simple title page and list of instrumentation for a piece of music.

The problem is that sometimes when I type it squishes all the characters up so that they're nearly overlapping. Other times I start a new line and the page above suddenly spreads out.

I'm not touching any of the settings at all!

Would anyone know how I can stop this from happening please?
Many thanks,
Suzie
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Letters squishing up and spreading out randomly

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please upload a small .odt file (128 kB max - use the Upload attachment tab below where you type) showing the problem, together, if possible, with a screen shot of what you see when you open the file (when the Writer window is in focus type Alt+PrtScr to take a copy of the screen. Paste into a graphics editor and create a GIF from it. If larger than 128kB, reduce the number of pixels).

It may be a missing font problem - remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for. This may NOT be the font being used to create the display because, if the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available.

The [url=hhttp://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts]TestFonts[/url] add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on the PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.

Download test.odt below and try editing it - does it work OK?

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
Attachments
test.odt
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.