Header and footer not showing in print preview of mail merge

Discuss the word processor
Debbiemt

Header and footer not showing in print preview of mail merge

Post by Debbiemt »

Hi,

I have just started using OpenOffice in accounting software called Reckon, to create an invoice template which includes mail merge fields. when I look at the template, the document is complete with header (including logo) and footer, but when I go to the print preview, the header and footer are missing and the formatting is all off. I also notice that the margins and other things on the print preview document are not the same as on my template. I never had this trouble when using M Word. Can you help, as it has wasted many hours of my time trying to fix, and our IT guy and accounting software people have no idea.
Attachments
.shows print preview with header and footer missing and formatting all wrong.
.shows print preview with header and footer missing and formatting all wrong.
shows correct template including header and footer
shows correct template including header and footer
Apache Open Office 4.1.5, Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Header and footer not showing in print preview of mail m

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

Does it print as intended? Or does it print as shown in the preview.

Can you upload an example file showing the problem - 128kB max here or use a fileshare site.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Debbiemt

Post by Debbiemt »

It prints as per the preview, i.e. without the header or footer. I did already upload examples to my original question. Are you able to see them?

I have checked that the page format is A$ Portrait. Interestingly, when I check the page layout on the "Preview" invoice, the margins are different from the invoice template, even though it is also in A4 Portrait mode. for some reason, what is in the template is not being transferred to the "print preview".
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You uploaded images (jpg files). Can you please upload the actual .odt file template (.ott) file.
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Looking at the pictures, I'd say that the two documents don't come from the same template. Even the language setting is different. That's about all I can glean from the pictures.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Debbiemt

Post by Debbiemt »

Original files attached.
Attachments
Invoice INCL GST- Open Office version.odt
Invoice template with Header and Footer
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Invoice with Header and Footer missing.odt
Print preview with Header and footer not showing and formatting messed up.
(12.75 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

How was the document without header and footer created? The styles applied to that document seem to have the default settings for a text document created in the en-US version of AOO instead of the settings in the template document. I changed the file name extension of the template document from .odt to .ott to make it a true template, then double-clicked the template and got a new document with the correct settings in the styles, including the header and footer and English (Australia) language setting.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Debbiemt

Post by Debbiemt »

thanks I will try this.