Cannot open my documents

Discuss the word processor
sherod

Cannot open my documents

Post by sherod »

For some reason the writing word software started slowing down and the little blue loading icon circle just kept vibrating. Now I cannot open any Open Office docs. I click on the doc and the blue icon circle vibrates for about 7 seconds then disappears. Also now there is a blue page icon with two doves - in the bottom right corner of the desk top files I still see my docs writing on the desk top file page but cannot open it.

Need Help!

sherod
Openoffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Cannot open my documents

Post by RoryOF »

Open Taskmanager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice or openoffice processes shown on TM's tabs (Usually Processes tab on early Windows, Details tab on Win 10); check all tabs. Then try to start OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sherod

Post by sherod »

I opened tm and did not see anything resembling Open office. Microsoft HP MacAfee and other stuff be not in the processes that said office.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you see any processes named soffice?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Just reboot - it will kill all soffice.exe and soffice.bin processes.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
sherod

Post by sherod »

Okay did a restart and most the docs are fixed. But the one I was working when this happened is not. The whole doc is number signs. i.e. #################

A window came up when I tried to open the doc just before the incident happened and is now showing up.
It is titled ASCII filter options.
Character set: Western Europe windows 125
Default Fonts: New Times Roman (which is what I was using for the doc)
Language: English USA

Now when I first saw the Number signs the doc on desk top still had the words written on it. ONly when I pulled it up when I could it showed number signs.

Now the doc on desktop looks like a large icon with a top left bent page, two birds and five lines on it.

Really need this doc Rory. And thank you for helping. I am Scots-Irish myself. :-)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

sherod wrote:The whole doc is number signs. i.e. #################
I am sorry but there is no hope for that document - it is corrupted beyond repair and there is no data in it.

It looks like you had some sort of crash on your PC causing all the problems. The good news is that, because it was a crash, the temporary files in c) below will not have been deleted and so will still be there.

Your only hope is to see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for
a) detailed instructions on how to recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.
b) how to find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
c) how to un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it and is probably your best hope.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.