[Solved] Text editor

Discuss the word processor
White Phoenix

[Solved] Text editor

Post by White Phoenix »

I need to run a spell check, and a search and replace on multiple text files. I need to be able to convert all non-Unicode files to UTF-8 automatically. I need a text editor that will do all of this and be 100% compatible with UTF-8. Boxer can do everything except the last and gEdit and AOO are only good because they are 100% compatible with UTF-8. A plugin to for gEdit would be fine, if one exists. I am tired of useless searches for plugins that don’t exist. I have seen no replacements for features removed or functional improvements since Apache took over OpenOffice. LibreOffice is a bloated MS Office clone.

The text editor does not need to be free. It does not need to be open source. It needs to work. I wish Linux/open source developers would understand this.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Text editor

Post by Villeroy »

Don't feed the troll.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Thank you for your reply. I have been called a troll. My life is over.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I really wouldn't use Writer (nor any other OpenOffice app, nor indeed any wordprocessing package released after NOTIS-WP) as a text editor. What is good for document production is too much clutter for me when working with plaintext files.

For Windows, I think Notepad++ does what you ask for. You have to change a preference or two (settings menu) to have automatic conversion to Unicode, IIRC.

Don't know about Linux. Notepad++ runs on Wine, but on the average Linux desktop and with most apps, using Wine feels like you're walking on crutches. Not everyone's cup of tea. Definitely not mine (unless I really have to).
You could look at the titles mentioned in this article. I certainly will, just not right now.
Daiwe01

Post by Daiwe01 »

In NotePad++ Encoding > Convert to UTF-8
And NP++ has a spell-checker plugin.
(At least the 32-bit version. Plugin conversion to 64-bit is a work in progress)
AOO 4.1.5 Win7Pro/2KPro/XP & *nix (But my heart is still VAX/VMS)
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

keme: Yes, I just checked out five suggestions and some of them could not open several HTML files without separating them from other files in the folder. They had no way to specify what type of files to look at. And they even included image files in the list. No way to sort by file type or extension either. Then the others did have a filter, but when I selected HTML no files were listed. I also agree about using Writer to do this. I need to keep these as text files, and the only way to open HTML files in text mode is to tack on a TXT extension. But then each file opens in a separate window which defeats trying to spell check/search & replace all at the same time. The solution then would be to put them all in one big text file, then split them after editing. That would be too much work. This should be a simple little one-hour job, tops.

I know what you mean about Wine. Wine developers even state that Wine is only a temporary solution until developers create quality software for Linux to replace the Windows counterparts. But instead, as the Wine developers expected, everyone is relying on Wine to be the ultimate solution.

I will try your list next. Arggh! It’s the same list. :lol: Thanks anyway.

Daiwe01: NotePad++ sounds iffy, but I do use Boxer on Linux anyway so it may be the only alternative. it isn’t that there is no spell checker though. I need to spell check/find & replace several files at one time, which Boxer does, but it cannot handle Unicode. As I recall I did try NotePad++ before deciding on Boxer. So it should have a similar interface, which is good too. Actually, I can go into Windows and do this if I have to. So NotePad++ for Windows looks like my best bet.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

NotePad++ worked well enough to get what I needed done. It has a strange way of handling relative expressions for line enders and tabs that I haven’t figured out yet, but I didn’t really need to do any fixing of broken lines anyway. In this it is different from the way either Boxer or gEdit handles them.