[Solved] Writer won't print to certain printers

Discuss the word processor
bass_gas

[Solved] Writer won't print to certain printers

Post by bass_gas »

I have a Epson and HP printer on my home network. Both are hardwired not wireless. When I load a file into writer and print to the Epson it shows 8.5x11 and prints fine. When I make the HP my default printer it shows the paper size to be 0.0 x 0.0 and when I click PRINT nothing happens. When I use MS Office 2000 all works well on both printers but I am trying to move from MS to Apache.
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Writer won't print to certain printers

Post by RoryOF »

We had such a problem before some months ago. I think (not certain) it was caused by an incorrect printer driver. I suggest going to HP support site, downloading and installing the latest driver for the exact model of your printer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bass_gas

Post by bass_gas »

Thanks but have the latest.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the forum with printer or print. The other cases were a problem specific to Windows 10 where the driver supplied by W10 was not the correct driver.

The fix was to go to the manufacturer's web site and download the correct driver for your printer and install it.

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bass_gas

Post by bass_gas »

Obviously a WRITER problem becasue been running W10-1709 for some time and HP drivers work fine with MS Office 2000.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the problem printer; this has apparently been successful in some other similar cases.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

bass_gas wrote:Obviously a WRITER problem because been running W10-1709 for some time and HP drivers work fine with MS Office 2000.
That is not correct, as you would have found had you followed the advice "Search the forum with printer or print" where the reason is explained.

But, as you seem to believe you know what the problem is, and you are not following the advice you are being given, there is nothing more to be said.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
bass_gas

Post by bass_gas »

My apologies!

Followed advice and printer is now working.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

As your problem is now solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Solved Writer won't print to certain printers

Post by John_Ha »

bass_gas wrote:... I am trying to move from MS to Apache.
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for some differences, and the reasons why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

robleyd

Post by robleyd »

bass_gas wrote:My apologies!

Followed advice and printer is now working.
For the benefit of others who may have a similar problem, can you tell what you did to solve the issue?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers